Fly Tying

It is impossible to have too many hooks. They are just like money......just ask the Koch brothers......Hope I spelled their name correctly.

I just put in an ordder last friday, 5k salmon, 5k dry, 10k nymph,2k streamer. And that's just for myself not even for resale, should last a few months, probably reorder again in november

So you use 9 dozen hooks/day for peronal use? Wow!

Most avid tyers go through a lot of hooks. So why do most fly shops only sell them in those silly 25 packs?

I just put in an ordder last friday, 5k salmon, 5k dry, 10k nymph,2k streamer. And that's just for myself not even for resale, should last a few months, probably reorder again in november

So you use 9 dozen hooks/day for peronal use? Wow!

Most avid tyers go through a lot of hooks. So why do most fly shops only sell them in those silly 25 packs?

Yeah why sell them little packs of 25 that's enough for one swap as most swaps are with 12 people involved on them most of the time I send two each . And I was thinking I had a lot wow some of you guys have your own little warehouse of hooks lol

Jay, it is worse than that here. Tiemco hooks got so expensive that rather than put the price up yet again, they now package them in 20s. Though I suspect that is also something to do with the importers pushing their own brand.

I worked out why one hook maker packaged their hooks in 25s. It was so you could tie two dozen, and throw the malformed hook you got in every package away. I'll let you ponder which maker. The company has changed hands since then, and the product is a little better now.

Most wholesalers will sell hooks by the thousand. Its a lousy job counting them out. If you ask your local shop they may be able to get them in thousands. You should get a discount if they don't have to split them down.

Cheers,

C.

I see the OP has some GCO hooks in his collection. I have had mixed results with these hooks, so you may want to be careful before investing too much money in them. The scud hooks I purchased from this supplier were fine, as were the straight-shanked, 2XL hooks, but the 2302, terrestrial hooks I bought were of very poor quality. Many of the hooks bent clear around in the vise with just the tension from the 14/0 tying thread. I ran into this with another supplier, so it is clearly a manufacturing fault. I have gone through a bit of a sea-change in my approach to hooks. Instead of always looking for the best bargain, I am going to stick with quality hooks from name-brand manufacturers such as Mustad, Dai-Riki, Daiichi, Umpqua and even Tiemco (although I think their hooks are way overpriced). Don't get me wrong, I will still look for bargains, but only on brands I can trust. I finally realized it does not make sense to spend time and effort tying flies on crappy hooks. End of rant, and, as always, YMMV.

P.S.: I should add that none of this is meant to detract from the fine work that goes into maintaining this site, or the other products GCO offers. GCO is clearly at the mercy of its suppliers. Caveat emptor still applies.

Between the ones me and my brothers use and the ones I loose probably pretty close to that

come on man, over 100 hooks per day from now until November for personal use? I was born at night, but not LAST night.

I try to keep at least 12,000 on hand for my self alone.. and that's still not enough, sorry to break your bubble !

This ...

... is ...

Jay, it is worse than that here. Tiemco hooks got so expensive that rather than put the price up yet again, they now package them in 20s.

... why hooks are so expensive???

The fancy barbless Tiemco hooks are retailing at £5.49 for 20. That's getting on $8, or $0.40 per hook. The "own brand" of the importer here are a similar price for 50. My suspicion is they are putting up the Tiemcos to push their own brand.

Generally the price of hooks is as high as the makers think the market will sustain. I suppose when most people made their own they found hook wire expensive. The most difficult part of making a hook is forming the eye. That's where mechanisation comes in, and tooling is probably the most expensive production cost. It doesn't account for the wide variety of prices between makes. Its the same old game of "what can we get away with"?

Cheers,

C.

Its just a business ploy with the big company's. if I want to buy hooks from overseas as a dealer I have to buy minimum 10,000 or they won't sell to me. hey guess what I buy closer to retail and have to break up the packs to make any profit. only big company's get a break from manufacturers.
those 12,000 I buy for my self are all old hooks I found on line and from old fly shops that have been closed at retail prices.

Sadly yes, during bass and trout season at least one of the six of us is on the water everyday, last year between march and april we went through approximetly 3100

Although not all are flies, many are just used for roe, and some for trailers or insects as well

Sorry joman, even fishing with groups of 6 or more people, I've never seen over 100 hooks (lures, rigs, whatever) get lost in a single day. You guys must have to file an EPA environmental impact statement every time you go fishing! You'd spend more time tying knots than fishing.... To each his own though.