Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

swinging flys question

You'll pick up the odd fish doing it with any type of fly. I've caught fish of many types, even the Most Worshipful Trout (yeah right) skating dry flies on a down and across cast. Not always, but more than a few times.

The idea that the fish will see that your totally fake offering is acting "wrong" is BS, unless they are keyed specifically on a major, high availability variable. Even then, the idea that our flies look anything like a natural is BS too.

I don't always swing flies, but when i do i swing them upstream :P

i have found in a strong flow, winged wet flies will remain in profile and present side on better across the flow. Hackled wets can collapse on themselves and look like a wet lump of nothing. A nymph will be different again and I would have no issue swinging a nymph across the stream.

I like to swing an EHC, especially once it gets a bit waterlogged.

Nymphs sometimes work, although I prefer to dead drift nymphs. Still, if I'm not getting any takes on the dead drift, I'll try other presentations.

Swinging is a technique, not bound to a style of fly, although there are some flies used more often than others. There are times where it can be effective, but others when it is less so. Read a book on traditional wet flies or streamers for more detail.