Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher K

Need help figuring out these flies

tough to get spherical eyes with melted mono

i still think its these

flytyingeyes_mononympheyes.jpg

if it was bead chain i think you would see the hole

we are also splitting hairs on whether or not it swiss straw or medallion sheeting. both will function as a shellback. most tyers wouldnt know the difference let alone the fish

medallion sheeting

medallion-sheeting-fly-tying-material.jp

swiss straw

swiss-straw-web.jpg

upon a closer look at the stonefly, it appears the the thorax may be some sort of dubbing (see the fine fibers) of maybe ice dubbing or equivalent and the wing case/legs is pearl mylar piping pulled over the thorax area and frayed to make the legs

maybe you could buy a couple of the flies to be absolutely positive of the materials and for samples

That would seem to be the most logical course of action but they are sold out of the stones, will try to get my hands on one of the dragonflies though. Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!

The back on the stonefly is a Pearlescent Sheet from Yellowstone Fly Goods (or something very similar). I don't know even know if they are still in business but I have some of that stuff and have used it on scuds for years.

Pearlescent Sheeting is distributed by Harline...not a lot of shops carry it:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Synthetics/Pearlescent-Sheeting-Material#.U0gCRRwm09k

PT/TB

I'll chime in and agree with Flytire and Crackaig that the black sheeting is swiss straw which is also called viscose rayon. I have black swiss straw and when you unfold it, it looks identical to the material on that fly.

The back on the stonefly is a Pearlescent Sheet from Yellowstone Fly Goods (or something very similar). I don't know even know if they are still in business but I have some of that stuff and have used it on scuds for years.

Pearlescent Sheeting is distributed by Harline...not a lot of shops carry it:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Synthetics/Pearlescent-Sheeting-Material#.U0gCRRwm09k

PT/TB

The stuff you tagged is not the same as the stuff I referenced. I have both materials and the pearlescent sheet from YFG is the same thickness as swiss straw. The Hareline stuff is MUCH thicker, even thicker than Thin Skin.