Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sbr

Quality Dubbing?

The fact is because of the way that commercially produced dubbing is made en masse, there's going to be a variance in consistency. Natural materials are inconsistent to begin with as Joel pointed out. The only way to get consistent dubbing is either make your own, or buy several packs of the commercial dubbing & blend your own. Either way, you have to make the effort or live with what's available ready made.

The best tying materials I've come across (better than average across the board) is Nature's Spirit tying materials. Whatever it is; pelts, dubbing, tailings, all things natural... simply the best.

Hareline is always a hit or miss to me. In a bag of dubbing from Hareline you get varying amount of guard hairs and under-fur so consistency in your finished flies won't be there. Except to pay about .25 more per bag of dubbing from Nature's Spirit but it's the best out there.

You sound like a rep for Nature's Spirit to me.

You sound paranoid to me. What's wrong with pointing out the inequities of one brand and recommending another? This message board was made exactly for this type of thing. People want to know, so I'll tell them my opinion.

Try looking at Mad River Dubbing Company in New York. They have good quality dubbing plus a lot of other items.