Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Scud back question

Lately ive been tying up some scuds, it took me a few practice scuds to finally get a fly that was up to my standards. I got a few dozen scuds tyed up when i realized that i may have made a mistake. I made my scuds with thin skin black speckled, is this bad?? After i tyed all my scuds i decided to take a look at some scuds on the internet and noticed a difference between my flys and the ones there. All the scuds that i saw used clear back material, with not pattern or dots on the back. While mine do have dots, Is this bad?? Will the fish really care??? When you look at an actual scud they have not patterns or dots on there backs,will the fish be able to pick this out and possibly turn it down?? Or am i making a big fuss about nothing.

Also any critique on the scuds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

eb14c3cb-102b-4f0e-a78a-5caee07f6458_zps99bca42a-3205-4a86-ba49-602528e3c3ed_zps

I've never seen scuds that look like that or tied with that material but fish it and see how it works.

I use Sew-Ology elastic from a hobby store. It is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

482110_110722211749_DSCF5759_zps78443dc8

482110_110722212624_DSCF5030_zps2e38107e

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

P1010493_zps69b20a65.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

P1010498_zps210ead90.jpg

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want.

I have personally seen trout follow a fly, count the number of tails on the fly, and reject it. If you break off a couple so it has the two that should be there it will inspect it, nod it's head, then take it. I think there is a good chance that if you can watch them float along beside that scud and look over the spots and reject, then you might be able to color the back and see if they forget there were spots on it. It is quite common for trout to reject a nymph when you use the wrong color thread. You have to match the thread with the natural thread of the nymph. It's not enough to just match the materials, the thread has to be the same as on the real nymph. Also, it's common to use artificial materials and trout can definitely tell the difference. Sometimes you'll just see them drifting along with the fly and you can see their nostrils flaring as they sniff to see if it's real animal hair or that craft hair junk. So yes, you might have troubles with that scud.

Oh my, what crock that is.laugh.png rolleyes.gif wink.png

I used to buy the thin skin scud back and other products but now I like to use the anti static bags that computer parts come in. It is a flashy gray color and I can cut it to any shape I like. Hit it with your permanent markers and you have just about any color. I use it for wing cases too. Never talked to any fish that could tell me they knew I had substituted it.

i've used thin skin with no problem....on your flies take and try them out the trout may love them and you made a new style or pattern...It's like the lotto motto.." Hey ya never know"...give them a try..They look good btw

I've never seen scuds that look like that or tied with that material but fish it and see how it works.

I use Sew-Ology elastic from a hobby store. It is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Comparing your two brands to the Hareline, they appear thicker. Do you cut them before using, or are you able to stretch them, thus making the piece narrower while tying?

Thanks for sharing!

TC

I agree, tie what you like. I think they both look good. Fish may take scuds as water snails, Beetles, shrimp, who knows. Your colours will have their day and other days won't catch. Same as all flies.

zip lock baggies make excellent scud back

your flies look fine

tie flies for the fish, not fisherman

If you don't like them just send them to me. I bet the gills will eat them with abandon. smile.png

I have personally seen trout follow a fly, count the number of tails on the fly, and reject it. If you break off a couple so it has the two that should be there it will inspect it, nod it's head, then take it. I think there is a good chance that if you can watch them float along beside that scud and look over the spots and reject, then you might be able to color the back and see if they forget there were spots on it. It is quite common for trout to reject a nymph when you use the wrong color thread. You have to match the thread with the natural thread of the nymph. It's not enough to just match the materials, the thread has to be the same as on the real nymph. Also, it's common to use artificial materials and trout can definitely tell the difference. Sometimes you'll just see them drifting along with the fly and you can see their nostrils flaring as they sniff to see if it's real animal hair or that craft hair junk. So yes, you might have troubles with that scud.

Oh my, what crock that is.laugh.png rolleyes.gif wink.png

You forgot to add that they sometimes laugh hysterically...

The shape is good and the colors are good. I doubt that the polka dots will make any difference. Try it and see. The fish will tell you soon enough.

Comparing your two brands to the Hareline, they appear thicker. Do you cut them before using, or are you able to stretch them, thus making the piece narrower while tying?

Thanks for sharing!

TC

They do stretch but you can cut the strips thinner with a rotary cutter. I am convinced that the Sew-ology elastic material is identical to Hareline Scudback. We all know this stuff is NOT made for fly tying but is made for other uses and then sold as fly tying material.