Fly Tying

I have worn simms since the late nineties in fact I fished the Arkansas river today in a pair from about 1999,i own 3 pair so I can not comment on other brands because as the saying goes try the rest now buy the best,SIMMS.

Colotyer,

I've had other waders as well, but my Simms have lasted for years. I guess it's true, you get what you pay for.

No doubt Simms make a good wader, I've owned them before myself along with numerous others, but there are waders out there for less money that will last just as long. IMO it's more about how you treat your gear than anything else. Also matters is making sure you get the right fit for your body. Too small and they will stress the seams when climbing over things. Too big and they will chaff the inner seams and material when walking. Always try new waders on before buying because different brands fit differently, don't just get size "__" in a new pair because that size fit in your old brand.

From the way people talk, we could well be getting to the point that wader technology has trickled down some, to where a cheap pair of bps waders today is as good as top-of-the-line Simms from 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe. I haven't had real good luck with cheap waders though.

I also know people just like to talk about how the budget item they bought is "just as good" as the high end stuff because it makes them feel better about themselves or their purchase or something. And a single good or bad experience can make or ruin a brand in a single person's eyes forever, so I try to look at trends rather than single anecdotes that sound conclusive. It's hard to really know who to listen to on stuff like this. That's the internet for you.

Ultimately, all waders will leak. It's just a matter of time and how you use them. How often do you fish and what's an extra $100 worth to you? I'd probably buy the Redingtons you already know you like.

Good luck, god speed, and keep your stick on the ice.

From the way people talk, we could well be getting to the point that wader technology has trickled down some, to where a cheap pair of bps waders today is as good as top-of-the-line Simms from 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe. I haven't had real good luck with cheap waders though. I also know people just like to talk about how the budget item they bought is "just as good" as the high end stuff because it makes them feel better about themselves or their purchase or something. And a single good or bad experience can make or ruin a brand in a single person's eyes forever, so I try to look at trends rather than single anecdotes that sound conclusive. It's hard to really know who to listen to on stuff like this. That's the internet for you. Ultimately, all waders will leak. It's just a matter of time and how you use them. How often do you fish and what's an extra $100 worth to you? I'd probably buy the Redingtons. Good luck, god speed, and keep your stick on the ice.

My input on that is this, and this is just how I feel based on my experience with various brands of waders over the past 25 yrs in my own personal fishing life- I've owned Simms, Dan Baily, Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Bare Bones, and Hodgeman waders over the years. I have zero problem spending extra money IF I can notice what I would call a marginal difference in longevity. So it has nothing to do with trying to justify to myself or anyone else about buying BPS or Cabelas waders. I have the money to buy Simms if I wanted to do so, but based on my experience with waders I personally have not had my Simms or Orvis waders last any longer than my BPS or Cabelas waders. So I choose to spend $100-$120 on waders rather than $300-$700 because I haven't found enough difference to justify my spending 3-5 times more for a different brand.

If someone else has a differing experience with waders than I have had and they like another brand better, then I say more power to them, they should buy what they feel works best for them. I just personally have not found enough of a difference to warrant my buying higher dollar waders for my next pair.

keep your stick on the ice.

A fellow Red Green fan I take it? biggrin.png

Well, I wasn't singling you out specifically or anything man.

And I've had good luck with plenty of cheaper gear, especially wading boots. Currently using some Cabelas ultralights that I've had a while, so it's not like I'm about the name brands or needlessly wasting money. But with waders I've gone away from the cheapest ones. Particularly bps, I will not use. I paid like $259 for the Orvis ones I have now. They seem pretty good. But that's just me. One more anecdotal account. Just what I was warning against.

And yeah, Red Green was a great show, for sure.

Oh I know I didn't feel you were, I was just explaining why I buy what I buy in waders is all.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." wink.png

Good discussion, here. I currently have a pair of Orvis waders, Clearwater, I think. They were the least expensive they had at the time. I have had them for about 7 years and no problems. The main reason I bought them was because they were offered in "Short". So, I guess what I'm saying is I agree with ditz2's comment about buy what fits. If Cabela's or BPS had offered waders in lengths, I would have bought them.

s.

I live in Middle TN and the bottom is very very very slick. The stream bottoms are mostly mostly flat but just as slick as ice or slicker and that is coming from a yankee. Felt soles are the only thing that keeps me in the water. If I could not wear felt soles I would be sitting at home. Can't risk a broken hip at my age.

No doubt Simms make a good wader, I've owned them before myself along with numerous others, but there are waders out there for less money that will last just as long. IMO it's more about how you treat your gear than anything else. Also matters is making sure you get the right fit for your body. Too small and they will stress the seams when climbing over things. Too big and they will chaff the inner seams and material when walking. Always try new waders on before buying because different brands fit differently, don't just get size "__" in a new pair because that size fit in your old brand.

I do believe you nailed it!

I have either had or have friends who have had most brands of waders over the years. The Simms G-series is IMO superior to all others (except their gravel guards suck). Cheap Simms waders, however, are no better than the other brands and worse than some in the same price range. If you don't plan on frequently walking through the brush, crossing a fences, or sitting on the ground then you will be fine with most waders, provided they fit properly. But Simms G-series waders are WAY more durable than any other make, and they FIT (which aids in their longevity/durability)! I don't like to be overly cautious with or worry about tearing a hole in my waders, so I bought the best and I have never regretted it. In the past I have had or have seen other brands fail right out of the box or within a couple days of normal use. My friends who have other waders are continuously patching or complaining about leaks while I fish comfortably. I'm going on 5 years with this pair (maybe 4?) and of course have had a couple pinhole leaks, but these were easily repaired.

If you like the Redingtons, get them and you will likely be satisfied if they fit and you are careful with them. I agree, it is hard to justify spending $700 dollars for a pair of waders, but it is different than spending $700 for a rod, $500 dollars for a reel, or $90 for a fly line. The waders keep you comfortable and dry, which will make you enjoy fishing all the more.

I have the Redington Sonic Pro waders and I love them. I've owned several other pair of cheaper waders (and boots) and I think you get what you pay for. I also think it depends on your fishing habit. You going to be in those waders 3-4 times a week or a 3-4 times a month? Big difference there and I think that is where gear selection is important.

I always say buy the best you can afford. You can always upgrade later, especially when new models come out and last year's stuff gets marked down. Just make sure they fit you really well! Waders that are too big are uncomfortable and extremely hazardous on the river.

I've been using a new pair of the Orvis Endura stocking foots this season, and so far I really like them. The only downside is no built-in gravel guards, but that wasn't an issue for me as I bought them primarily for float-tubing. I have two pairs of old Orvis Silver Label felt-soled bootfoot waders that have had some hellacious hours and stress put on them and they held up remarkably well; especially for budget-priced waders.

Another budget bootfoot breathable wader I've had good luck with so far is the Greys brand.

Be careful buying felt-soled bootfoot waders... some states have already outlawed them (VT, for one) due to their propensity for spreading rock snot algae.

Tight lines,

Bob

I've had good luck with the Dan Bailey waders. I don't buy the top of the line waders, I can't justify the price based on the number of days I normally fish in a year. Plus, in the areas I fish there is a lot of bushwhacking through blackberry and wild rose so any wader is at risk. I don't feel as bad puncturing a $250 pair as I would a $500 pair. If I was a guide this would be a different cost/benefit calculation but I am just a regular Joe so I go for a balance of durability and fit at a lower price point.

Steve

I agree with the previous posts that its about how you care for your waders. I can recommend wearing a guard sock over the stocking feet, rinsing them off of any debris or mud when you get home, and get the rize size. Same for washing the wading boots too, its a must. Roll them up, dont fold them, or hang them from the back of a door like I do.

Currently I am using the Frogg Togg Hellbenders and they are pretty nice and also at a good price point. Paired with them are the Frogg Togg Anura boots, also a good price and a pretty comfortable boot. It was a pain to find a size 13 wading boot that wasn't super pricey.