Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

3 years smoke free

Good for you Steve, I've managed to quit many bad habits in my life but still smoke..... Congrats to all who have quit, I've gone up to two years before so I know I can do it, just need to get back on the quitters bus for good.

Good on you Steve!

Never smoked but have been doing the "mouth candy" for decades! Some day I will quit for good but I enjoy it so my weakness still resides!

Mike :)

Congratulations.

That's quite an accomplishment. My wife smokes, but she says it's really easy to quit - she's done it several times.

"I didn't trade my vice for a vise, since I had my vise before I quit my vice. Now my vise is my vice and I don't have any other vices to get in the way of my vise."

Huh?

Vice vs. Vise... points up the weakness of Spell checker. Remember the good old days of dictionaries?

Congratulations Steve, I'm smoke free 9 years now, went cold turkey myself thought I might hurt somebody during that third week without em!!! But I survived as did all my coworkers and my boss!

congratulations--- as someone who has never done it, I don't understand how hard it is, but I've seen folks try and fail. My Dad smoked, and it killed him when he was 50 although he lived over 20 more years.... Massive heart attack, 5-bypass surgery, and COPD and all that, he could barely do the things he loved to do after that. If that ain't incentive enough, I don't know what is. I know I hated it when I was a kid, and pretty much still do. Driving down the road, if someone is two or three cars in front of me smoking, I can smell it.

Just can't see the sense in paying money to light s**t on fire, and get sick doing it. And, HOLY CRAP it's expensive, from what I've been told.

Congratulations Mr. 'Steel'. I can only imagine how difficult that must be to quit. I have never smoked but can appreciate your effort. I have always been 'heavy set' and lost about 50 pounds since last year, but I must admit that I do not think that compares to the addiction to smoking. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

BCT

Bellevue ... losing weight is just as hard as quitting smoking. I've done one (quit smoking), now I have to do the other. When I gave up cigarettes, Chantix helped, but it seemed fairly easy to me. I just kept telling myself, I don't need that, I am stronger than that.

But eating is Necessary. You can't give up food. And it's so easy to eat foods that aren't good for you, especially when I'm on the road.

Congrats for losing weight, and don't think it's easier than giving up anything else.

Thanks Mike...but..... (as I think out loud) I know the addiction to nicotine is chemical, I suppose the necessity to food is chemical too. I've learned that I can eat an amazingly small amount of food.... and still survive... amazing! lol

But this thread is about Mr. Steel quitting smoking and That certainly is terrific and requires diligent follow-up I think. Keep up the good work Mr. Steel.

BCT

Losing weight can be just about as hard. The hardest things though was doing both at once, I quit smoking as well as lost 140lbs in the past 3 years. The double whammy lol

Congrats Steve!!! April 12 was 22 years for me, one of the best things I ever did for myself. I rediscovered my nose and tongue could bring me much pleasure, food and life were never again to be boring and dull. I love to cook now and the bad side is that the pounds started adding up so that's the next step.

I once quit for six years and, the idiot I am, started again, a pack a day.

I quit again in November of 2011, so far, so good!

Thanks Mike...but..... (as I think out loud) I know the addiction to nicotine is chemical, I suppose the necessity to food is chemical too. I've learned that I can eat an amazingly small amount of food.... and still survive... amazing! lol

But this thread is about Mr. Steel quitting smoking and That certainly is terrific and requires diligent follow-up I think. Keep up the good work Mr. Steel.

BCT

Losing weight can be just about as hard. The hardest things though was doing both at once, I quit smoking as well as lost 140lbs in the past 3 years. The double whammy lol

Yeah, bellevue ... this is what I am worried about. Steve's a quitter, smoking, eating ... which addiction is next? Rod building? Aquariums? Being administrator on this site? These are all things we must protect. SOME addictions are necessary !!! At least for us.