Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Woolly Bugger tails

Hi, what kind of hackle did hans use in the first video, it looked like a dry fly hackle not like the broad ones sold for buggers

i'm not so sure what type of feather matters. use the soft webby fibers at the base of a dry fly feather, saddle hackle feather etc

isnt the recipe is on the you tube video page in the link i posted?

Hi, what kind of hackle did hans use in the first video, it looked like a dry fly hackle not like the broad ones sold for buggers

It's a Badger Saddle Hackle. Depending on the saddle, they can be used for dry flies or buggers. The particular feather that he was using seemed to have some webbing close to the stem, which would make it ideal for buggers.

Saddle hackle will not taper as much as the stuff marketed for buggers. Really, it's just personal preference. I like schlappen for river buggers, and thin saddle hackle for lake buggers.

Hans used a cock saddle hackle which is stiffer than a lot of hackles that are often used for buggers.

I don't always remove the tip of a marabou feather as flytire has shown, just depends on the feather. On some feathers the tips are more fiber, while others are more solid. On large size buggers, I'll pair 2 blood quills together for a tail, and I'll strip the fibers off the stem as others have mentioned. I don't like wasting anything, so make use of as much of it as I can. I prefer the blood quills instead of using full plumes.

Ty Flyer, marabou generally comes from the underbody, back near the tail, mid body and down the legs. They're a type of body feather. But on most types of bird, there are some marabou plumes well up under the wings too, and even between some of the other body feathers.

I don't have a way to add a pointer, so, see the wing, see the tail, marabou comes from the part in between & underneath! rolleyes.gif

WhiteHollandTurkey300.jpg

I like the narrow look of the hackle hans used, mine have a wide base that makes the fly very full in the front instead of more even. I have to order every thing I get. so I like to know what to ask for. I have got hackle before that wasn't what it appeared to be. I can't afford to waste money just to check and see if it what I want

These are tied with 2 marabou feathers in the tails, and the body hackle is strung saddles. I like to include some of the fluff at the base of the saddle hackles into my buggers. First flies are size 1, the black ones in the second pic are size 4.

The bodies are Estaz or cactus chenille. smile.png

100_4624_zps3680ea35.jpg

100_4623.jpg

Cheech,

when you tie in the hackle and fold the stem back and tie over it, you won't have to worry about a whip finnish to hold it.

Cheech,

when you tie in the hackle and fold the stem back and tie over it, you won't have to worry about a whip finnish to hold it.

The only reason I did a quick whip finish was so the thread didn't unravel while I wrapped the hackle back, and the wire forward. My wraps were very secure, but sometimes the bobbin can get bumped while wrapping the body and it unravels. This can happen regardless of whether the stem is doubled over or not.

That being said, doubling the stem is a good technique. Also, if you leave the fibers on the stem and just trim a few right in the tie in point (instead of stripping fibers at the tie in point) it creates a very secure connection, and the feather won't pull out. I really haven't had a problem with mine coming undone, so I bypass this stem 90% of the time.