Fly Tying

Never saw a need for a net, so no I don't use one

Being short I'd be tripping over it anyway :)

Depends on the size of the fish, and how much fight is left in it. I'm more likely to use the net on a really active fish, than on one that comes sliding in on it's side. To me, the object of the net is to gain control of the fish so I can release it more quickly. Of course, it also depends on whether or not I remembered to bring a net with me....

As long as I need a backpack when fishing, I can't find a comfortable position to carry my net. Everything rust in saltwater and I hate rust. The magnet holder rust. So for the last couple times I've been out fishing, I haven't brought my net. It certainly is more easy to control the fish with a net. And it's less likely I loose the fish if I can grab it quickly with the net, than landing it on the beach.

I bought a net, magnet and clip for a net a few years ago. I've used it a few times, but rarely. I have it handy, and if I can see the fish is poorly hooked, and I want to land it, I've used it.

Almost always use a net for trout. I can land the fish faster with less handling/fumbling around so I think its less stressful to the fish and increases its chance to survive. For bass and other warmwater fish I usually just lift them by the lower lip.

Tom

Where the fish can be walked up a wet soft beach then no. For all places where I need to reach to land a fish on steep banks, near snags, big fish I always use a net with a long carbon fibre net Handle from my carp fishing days. Its 3 piece so I can carry the length to suit venue.

Never use a net and frequently try to unhook without taking the fish out of the water. I only fish for stocked trout in medium sized streams.

Depends on the size of the fish, and how much fight is left in it. I'm more likely to use the net on a really active fish, than on one that comes sliding in on it's side. To me, the object of the net is to gain control of the fish so I can release it more quickly.

My sentiments exactly...

I definitely have a net when steelhead fishing, besides dragging the poor fish up on the bank, there isn't any other way to efficiently land them. For trout, I carry one along with me, but I also agree with phg - it all depends on the size whether or not I actually use it. For the majority of the rivers I fish and the trout I catch they aren't big enough to justify using a landing net, but I would say it's one of those situations where it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

As long as I need a backpack when fishing, I can't find a comfortable position to carry my net. Everything rust in saltwater and I hate rust. The magnet holder rust.

Try using this contraption, I've got one and it is by far the most comfortable way to carry a net with you. After I made the switch to a lanyard instead of a vest, I had no way to easily or comfortably carry a net. This simply hooks on my wading belt and holds the net flat against my back, and a backpack can easily be worn over top of it. No annoying magnets, no more trying to find the magnet and re-attach it, no more of the net dangling off your back - which in turn usually ends up with it tangled in the brush. They're a little expensive for such a simple system, but I believe they are worth it. Or if you're handier than me, I'm sure you could make one of your own.

http://www.smithcreek.co/net-holster.php

Depends on the size of the fish, and how much fight is left in it. I'm more likely to use the net on a really active fish, than on one that comes sliding in on it's side. To me, the object of the net is to gain control of the fish so I can release it more quickly. Of course, it also depends on whether or not I remembered to bring a net with me....

I agree. A net is also handy when fishing from a float tube or pontoon.

Sometimes, depending on the water I am fishing and the fish i am targeting and whether I am wading or in a boat or bank fishing

Almost always use a net for trout. I can land the fish faster with less handling/fumbling around so I think its less stressful to the fish and increases its chance to survive. For bass and other warmwater fish I usually just lift them by the lower lip.

Tom

Ditto this, and also ditto Trouser Trout's recommendation of the Smith Creek Net Holster. I got one last year and I love it. Now I can carry my net comfortably regardless of how I'm carrying my other gear (vest, sling pack, etc.).

When fishing in rivers i always carry a net.

Coastal fishing in waders, never.