Fly Tying
Preach

Rubber nets anyone?

I've been seeing a lot of rubber nets these days. I've never used one, so I was wondering if any one on the forum does. If so, can you tell what makes rubber better? Or is it?

My boat net is a rubber net, my stream net is a soft C&R mesh net. Rubber is a bit heavier so that's why I don't use rubber for my stream net. What makes the rubber net better IMO is the fact that it does not get your hook tangled up in the bag like a soft C&R bag does. But like I said it is heavier so it stays in the boat only.

Excellent question!

I went on my VERY FIRST fly fishing excursion yesterday and it was amazing!

I had a guide/mentor with me the entire time and he had a "Ghost Net?"...it was rubber and I can tell you without a doubt I will be getting one in the future. Having used fabric/mesh nets in the past my hooks would always get tangled/snagged in the mesh. After eighteen fish yesterday I am SOLD on a rubber type net!

Mike :)

Excellent question!

I went on my VERY FIRST fly fishing excursion yesterday and it was amazing!

I had a guide/mentor with me the entire time and he had a "Ghost Net?"...it was rubber and I can tell you without a doubt I will be getting one in the future. Having used fabric/mesh nets in the past my hooks would always get tangled/snagged in the mesh. After eighteen fish yesterday I am SOLD on a rubber type net!

Mike smile.png

I've been pricing them online and they go from $39 up into the $100's. I'm assuming any rubber net would be sufficient?

I thought about getting a rubber net when I was looking to buy. But I figured I get some small Sadomasochistic fish that would like the feel of rubber. It'd keep getting hooked just so it could feel it again, chasing off bigger fish for the thrill.

SO I got a lighter mesh net.

after 20+ years of fishing I've never had a problem with a soft knotless mesh net. Mesh for me.

I have a Fisknat net with a rubber bag. It is slightly heavier than mesh, but not enough to be a problem. Barbed hooks don't get caught in it and it is supposedly easier on the fish. One thing I have noticed is that fish want to flop around in it more. Maybe that's a slight disadvantage.

I've had my rubber net for 4 years or so, and I love it. I personally don't notice the additional weight and it also seems to be more durable than some mesh nets. I got mine from cabelas for $30 and it's been awesome.

-miles

I've had my rubber net for 4 years or so, and I love it. I personally don't notice the additional weight and it also seems to be more durable than some mesh nets. I got mine from cabelas for $30 and it's been awesome.

-miles

Yeah I should have noted in my first reply ....that I haven't looked at the rubber nets for a good number of years now. So when I was comparing weight I was comparing to the first rubber nets they started selling about 15+ years ago. So I bet the newer ones are most likely much lighter than the ones I remember from years ago.

Supposedly rubber is also better for the fish as there is less damage to the slime layer.

I thought it was the other way? I'm sure I've read that heavily slimed fish; tench and bream in UK for example, really stick up a rubber mesh. It dries alot quicker than trad mesh but slimes worse??

As I say, only something I thought I read when I was looking for a new net for the river.

I have also heard that rubber is supposed to be less damaging ot the slime layer, but I haven't seen data that supports that. Just something "they" said. :)

I personally use a "Measure-Net", the blue mesh bag with the fish ruler lining the bottom. My hooks don't get snagged because they're barbless. :D

-miles

Hey miles,

I saw them on Cabella's website and was wondering if they were good quality. You think they are then...huh?

Supposedly rubber is also better for the fish as there is less damage to the slime layer.

I thought it was the other way? I'm sure I've read that heavily slimed fish; tench and bream in UK for example, really stick up a rubber mesh. It dries alot quicker than trad mesh but slimes worse??

As I say, only something I thought I read when I was looking for a new net for the river.

It would seem to me if the rubber was wet it wouldn't damage the slime layer like a regular mesh net would. I can see the benefit in that...

I use a Brodin thermoplastic (rubber) Ghost Net for trout. Sweet! Verry light compaired to the old rubber nets.

Don't know about the fish slime thing (rubber vs mesh) since I never lift trout out of the water unless I'm going to kill it to eat.

Brodin is comming out with a new net bag made with a blend of plastics similar to what is used to make baby

bottle nipples a I V bottles. They say it's half the weight of a Ghost Net,

Skinny