Fly Tying
COMike

Estate Sale Book Finds!

Hi Everyone!

Well I hit up an estate sale today near the house and lo and behold I found some very cool books....most of them are older but they are in great shape. I am enjoying looking at all the fly patters and such.

Picked them all up for a whopping total of $15! Not bad!

post-52487-0-55393800-1398479979_thumb.jpg

Wow! That's a nice collection of books. I count 17 ... so less than a dollar a book. I never seem to find the right sales.

Nice score! That ought to keep you in fly patterns for a long time to come! :) I noticed Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying Guide amongst the other titles - there are some folks who maintain that that is one of the best if not THE best beginning fly tying books. It should make a nice companion to the Skip Morris book you already have.

I never seem to find the right sales either. Good eye!

That McNally book was the first fly fishing book I read many moons ago, I really liked it.

That's a good haul. As a kid, I wore out our public library's copy of "McClane's Encyclopedia" lol

I hope that is not an omen....I have a few of those books in my collection.

Great find & deal! You did good! smile.png

The only book in that lot that I have in my collection is the "Complete Book of Freshwater Fishing"! My parents gave it to me way back in the 70's when I was still in high school. I've read it many times & always liked the color fly plates in it and have tied most of them. It's still a favorite for that reason! wink.png

Thanks Everyone!

I have read the top three books .... all on insect ID so to speak. The Art Flick book was AMAZING!!!!

Art Flick's Streamside Guide

It is a really good read....the nomenclature is good to have but the journey that he took over the years was really inspiring for a new trout fisher like myself.

I like reading things from a couple of decades ago.....less hype and more thought.

Just my opinion.

I have read the first few chapters of Charlie Craven's book....why this was in the collection I have no idea as all of the other books were much older but it was a TOTAL SCORE for me! Come to find out he lives just north of us in Arvada CO so I will be making a trip up there this week!

I love Charlie's explanation on tying flies........what an inspiration!

Mike :)

Most of the fly tying stuff I have is from estate sale and e bay. Plus books dont go out of date with fly tying. Best find for me was 3 S&M bobbins, $1 each! I thought they where hand made bobbins at first. But are the real deal.