Fly Tying
add147

Making Progress on Tying Bench

Here are some pics of my tying bench that I have been working on in the evenings. My measurements are 24" x 31" you might be asking why did I choose 31". Well to be honest that was the longest piece of scrap wood I had. I am using 3/4 inch oak veneer as the main base and the rails are 3/4" x 3 1/2" oak. The drawers I made out of 3/16" veneer oak paneling. I did not want to use anything big for the drawers since I thought it would make it to heavy. The rails are not glued they are screwed down. I counter sunk the screws and placed some little oak nobs over the holes. I did this incase in the future I would like to reconfigure my tool lay out. Plus I am left handed if I ever give this to my son for him to use I can easily reverse the rails for him since he is right handed.

I still have to rip down the bottom drawers and add some styles. Once I get that taken care of I will begin the staining and finishing. I made my son a study desk and we stained it a yellow and green. I most likely will use the same stain since yellow is my son's favorite color. I imagine one day he will end up with this anyway.

Overall I am pleased with my work. Not to bad I think for an ole county boy in East Texas!

post-52478-0-08398400-1398561394_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-04394000-1398561480_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-19136600-1398561535_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-08157000-1398561593_thumb.jpg

Very nice job. I would think twice about staining it yellow. Oak is too beautiful to alter its appearance. I would just stain it a light oak to bring out the grain. Keep in mind that your son's taste in colors will probably change when he gets older.

I keep thinking I should be adding a suggestion or two... but I can't think of anything I would say. It is well thought out and your doing a great job.

I would also like to see the pictures of it finished.

Michael

(I too enjoy working with wood)

Um ... Wow! When you started the other thread about tying bench measurements, I figured you for an amatuer. Sorry to have made that assumption.

That is a very well built desk. I like the small drawers, the levels on the right side and the base ... even the choice of wood. I agree with Dave, though. Light stain, to bring out the grain ... but not yellow. Too many materials that might get lost in the color.

I just like the fact that you are thinking of your son while you are doing this. He is a lucky kid and will likely become( if he is not already) your best fishing buddy. Stain the bench however you want.

I would advise against any stain. Keep it white. Just a coat of polyurethane would do. Tying flies against a dark background isn't cool, at least to me. I put up white paper or tagboard behind wherever I'm working.

You do nice work. I like the little finishing details. I would also like to see pics of the finished product.

s.