Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RBF Staff

RBF: Silk or Nylon for fly rod

I know this topic has been covered, but I'm going to ask it again. I'm pretty new and working on a new build and have use pro-wrap size A for each rod thus far. Once I started bagging the CP and just putting Flex Coat light directly on I was pretty happy. Well, now I'm out of thread and getting ready to make another purchase and debating on what brand and material. I love the transparent look I see on my bamboo rods and images from this forum, but I'm a little hesitant to dive into silk after some of the stories I read concerning the level of difficulty. Plus, silk is expensive and only comes in 50 yard spools. I'm wondering about Fishhawk silk threads. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Should I expect a major difference between silk and nylon, or is that overhyped? Also, I just purchased Ace spar varnish and plan to use it instead of flex coat light, which I just couldn't get perfect like I wanted. I'm in no rush with my rods and varnish sounds easier and gives a nice result based on my bamboo rods and pictures, but is there any reason to stick with flex coat. Wow, lots of questions!

THanks

Reply to topic here http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=32353