Fly Tying
coinman66

Bluegill flies and jigs

Tied these up recently and they paid off. Me and a buddy hit em hard with our 2 and 5wts. 48 Gills\Redears and 1 Crappie.

post-23191-0-73126000-1398739050_thumb.jpg

post-23191-0-85688200-1398739090_thumb.jpg

A heck of a lot good eating there. For me, I like to keep 'em to eat but only sort out the biggest and keep it to what we need to eat at the time. It is NOT that I'm so conservative but rather that I just ain't up to cleaning that many at one time. Rather clean a half dozen now and then than 30 all at once. Great catch and pretty little flies. You should have pictured the ones you caught the fish on after you were done. Bet they didn't look that nice after those 'gills tore 'em up.

mmm mmm mmm.....I seldom keep fish anymore but that does look yummy. The only thing better than a bunch of gill and crappy is a plate full of walleye

edit: I need to add yellow perch and speckled trout.

I very rarely keep fish also, but pan fishing with my 2 wt might change that. Man the gills were delicious. And a buddy told me even if u only catch a few, keep them and fillet them out and every time out just add a few fillets to the bag. Before u know it u got enough for a fish fry.

Tied these up recently and they paid off. Me and a buddy hit em hard with our 2 and 5wts. 48 Gills\Redears and 1 Crappie.

Awesome! Its that time of year...

Sunfish are little fighting machines on a light weight set up. A lot of fun to catch. But a fish fry of nice, little, bite sized fillets is hard to beat. We have one at my house at least once a month, sometimes once every two weeks.

Check your local water quality warnings ... some places have recommended maximum intakes due to heavy metals. This is true of fresh and salt water fish.

Also ... NEVER use fresh water fish for sushi. Salt water fish do not carry any parasites that live in humans, but fresh water fish can. Thoroughly cook all fresh water fish.

i have never tried them but are gills good eats? crappie?

Hey flytire,

My Dad would rather eat crappie than any other freahwater species!

I can't taste the difference between Crappie and Bluegill. Redear Sunfish eat a lot of snails, and they can be a little stronger flavor. Goggle eye and Warmouth are ambush predators, sitting in the weeds and waiting ... they, too, can be a stronger tasting fish.

But, I only eat Sunfish and Crappie. I don't think any other fish fries up as nice.

I would eat bass, but Wife doesn't like it. I like catfish, but again, Wife doesn't like it. Both of those have the wrong "texture" according to her.