Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steve617

First attempt at Woolly Bugger

Decided to give it a try. My first attempt. Im thinking I may need to trim the tail and perhaps some of the hackle. thanks.

post-52782-0-83634200-1399227743_thumb.jpg

post-52782-0-56458500-1399227744_thumb.jpg

That is really good. The only thing I would do is what you said, Shorten the tail and hackle, and also make the body a little smoother. But it will catch fish just how it is.

measure your tail at a hook shank length at your tie-in point, then there is no need to trim anything.

Buggers are GREAT for honing your tying skills!

Consistency is what you need to master so tie a bunch, just like you did, and compare them. Start with the glaring differences (tail length, hackle size, ect) and try to eliminate those in the next batch you tie up. Then work your way down to the smaller inconsistencies (#of wraps of hackle, ect) until you tie nearly identical flies. Move on to the next pattern!

What the fly actually looks like is important as far as fishing it goes but when you are just starting out consistency is paramount!

Just personal preference but I would either use a larger (Probally tungsten) bead head or go with a lead wrapped body. If I’m using a bugger it is going to be to pull a hog out of a deep pool and I want that sucker to get down there!

Hi Steve617,

That fly looks good taking into the consideration what other tiers have suggested. What impressed me with it was the clean head (for a first fly). Good job! Take care & ...

I like you bugger nice job. Here is my bugger. I'm pretty new to tying also but I think I got this one pretty well under control. I make it kind fancy with a little flash in the tail and a strip of holo tinsel up the side. I use big heavy tungsten beads and lots of round lead free to get it down. Has been great for bass where the river I fish meets the Connecticut and rainbows further upstream.

I like you bugger nice job. Here is my bugger. I'm pretty new to tying also but I think I got this one pretty well under control. I make it kind fancy with a little flash in the tail and a strip of holo tinsel up the side. I use big heavy tungsten beads and lots of round lead free to get it down. Has been great for bass where the river I fish meets the Connecticut and rainbows further upstream.

post-52247-0-52545200-1402190202_thumb.jpg