Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Tybee Island GA

Headed to tybee island Memorial Day weekend, not gonna take the fly rod but I was wondering what piers and beaches allow fishing, and when, also what should I expect to catch, and what bait to use?

Not sure about which piers but if you're using spinning gear a jig or popping cork with live shrimp always works. Plenty of trout, reds and black drum.

I just fished at the pier, we stayed on 14th still so it wasn't too far to walk. I didn't even bring the fly rod that time. I only caught five sharks, two stingray, four horshoe crabs, and a 18" croaker which I cleaned and he was tasty!

I just fished at the pier, we stayed on 14th still so it wasn't too far to walk. I didn't even bring the fly rod that time. I only caught five sharks, two stingray, four horshoe crabs, and a 18" croaker which I cleaned and he was tasty!

3C6026A3-B8AB-4712-B8BB-2AE0ABDEAE63_zps

39C3E84E-E228-4223-8D06-6185506BFF96_zps

DA8806EA-1ECE-45FE-A9E4-270DCEB69929_zps

19B634B9-7183-4360-9FD4-D683F1DAC983_zps

9F6DC57E-6F2D-4EB4-B44B-D3EC3A09F0BD_zps

Forgot I also caught a Ladyfish too. The first shark Is a 36" lemon, he yanked the rod right off the dock, a little kid came out while I was cutting bait and messed with it and turned the clicker off, the guy next to me had his line over mine(gosh I can't stand that!) and pulled up my rod for me! He ate a cut piece of the Ladyfish. The other four are baby blacktips all caught on shrimp.

Looks like you still had some fun. The pier can get crowded really quick. The black-tip bite is really picking up. An old Army bud of mine took me out on a charter this past week and we caught quite a few small ones. If you are really serious about hitting the salt down here, best times are September thru November. Flounder and trout will be running hard then.