Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Married wing question

The strips of feathers in a married wing fly are called what?

I thought they were called feather slips but I've seen them in recipes called strips of feather.

Thing is I'm trying to use to describe using as a tail for other than a salmon fly. So, would I say approximately 10 strips of goose feather, turkey feather, etc.?

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi Kirk, keeping it simple all i kinda know how the term is described is for example 'Married strips of white, blue, red goose'. Strips are made up of individual barbs, so you can even say how many barbs each strip has. We often have to count them to make sure each side is exact in barb count.

Some people even have a formula...a sort of 'short hand' to describe exactly how many barbs in each strip, and how many strips, in what order...To me it just looks like a confusing bunch of numbers and letters :)

for me, single fibers are barbs. Multiple barbs are strips.

eg. the bottom and 3rd wing comprise 7 strips of dyed goose shoulder.the second and forth (From the bottom) comprise mixed strips (2 barbs) divided by single barbs.

Others might say different, in the end, its what you feel most comfortable with to get your point across.

2014-05-04-20-28-03-626.jpg

Thanks fellas. Strips sounds like it will work as in "You can use marabou or strips of goose shoulder feather for the tail.".

Beautiful work by the way fontinalis.

Kirk

Hehe flytire, that top image looks like it has been taken from as issue of 'the salmon flyer'...Actually that is the good oil and everyone should read the entire series, so worth dropping in here. Goes from dying to material tricks, tying and much more. Each volume has a spring, summer, fall, winter issue. All for free!

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/the%20salmon%20flyer/salflyer/index.html

Oh Wow! Thanks Norm. So I would write, "You can use marabou or barbs from your favorite feather such as goose shoulder or wing."

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, although that could be considered correct, looking at your rabid dogs you are def. using slips/ strips set wing style. I just feel using 'barbs' could mean seperating each barb then lashing in? I personally would say slips, to be more precise you could say how many barbs in each strip/ slip.

Okay, i was reading around and saw one of the wing formula's so just out of interest this is what they look like, btw i think married slips could look wonderful as a tail on say rabid dogs, the top slips matching the often darker back, and bottom slips being lighter, all sorts of tails could be done if using some striking patterned feathers. Not so sure it matters but it could go well with the artistic finishes and paint jobs you do.

post-29540-0-77573300-1401052198_thumb.jpg

Tomato or Tomaaatooo

lo

I can appreciate the question and it looks like youve gotten the help you need. Im here just to derail the thread, as usual.

We can always count on ChefBen to stumble in through the door at last call slurring something about tweed :)