Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gravytrain

painted...now what?

Yes, those do look great! smile.png

So, now tie them! laugh.png

Mine are usually basic. I like the splayed hackle tails often with some flash added, and a hackle collar. But, there's a lot of things you can do. Now, I like to use a black collar on many of them to contrast with whatever other colors I use. Also, the hook point is about 1/3 the way back for the total length. On smaller sizes I may make the tails shorter, but the big ones I like to use for bass, the bass don't seem to mind the longer tails.

100_4248A.jpg

100_4178A.jpg

This is a Keys style Tarpon pattern I tied & use for LM bass. Add a popper body to it & it becomes a decent bass popper. I don't use the marabou much with poppers, but it can be done. I do like ostrich herl fibers on some however. wink.png

100_4526.jpg

Tails can be anything....hair, hackle, boo, etc......between the tail and body..wrapped hackle, wrapped boo, estaz, some chenille, Just a tail can also be used or just some wrapped hackle and no tail. Hair frog legs. Anything you want to do and floats your boat. Just have fun..

I would think it would event work as is! I mean look at most conventional tackle poppers.

You can also use a large needle and thread rubber legs through the popper head. Suggest you go on the Fly Database (see above) and search for poppers. You will find lots of good ideas! Assuming you can get in the database. I never have a problem but some folks can't seem to get it to open. If it doesn't, go to Hatches site and try to get in from there.

Great looking poppers! Have you epoxied them yet? After that, you're set to tie them however you want. Plenty of good resources out there for creating some cool poppers, have fun!