Fly Tying

Featured Fly - Catskill Style Dry Flies

OSD has written us a great step by step tutorial on Catskill Dry Flies. Be sure to post pics of your attempts at tying this fly this fly. I may even this give one a try!

Thanks again Bob, your work around here is appreciated. For any of you interested in taking step by step pics send them my way so that we can make it a "Featured Fly".

Catskill Style Dry Flies

user posted image

Thanks for the tutorial Bob. Just curious though...usually when I think of "spinner" patterns, I think of the spent form or down wing. When you used the word spinner, I am guessing you are refering to the imago as opposed to the dun.

Anyway, the tutorial should be a great tool for those bass fishers and newbies in general. TROUT rule!!! headbang.gif

A.A.

Yes often the spent wing spinners come to mind when when the word Spinner is used, I guess I should have just labled the picture Catskill style drys.

OSD.

Good read OSD!

I think they're alot like many of the "older flies" that once they're no longer on the fish's "most seen" list they become more effective again. Catskill style cahills and march browns are probably in my top 5 list of flies that I just plain enjoy tying. smile.gif

Ok now everyone remember only fish the newest patterns out, the old ones just don't work anymore! cool.gif

If you think about it, Catskill style flies are almost the only type of fly a lot of fishermen in the Northeast ever knew; many of us who were born in the last century 'grew up' with Catskill styles as our primary weapons against the elusive trout.

Great work, Bob. Looks like 2005 is going to be an interesting and exciting year in FTF!

Got the link to work this morning. Musy have been a few too many beers on the way home.

Would wings made from calftail, like in a wulff patern, be considered in this category?

T

Yes it dose look like the dubbing step was omitted

I will bring this to the attention of Will

I know I had that step included ohmy.gif

OSD.

Awesome show! Nice work, now I have something to strive for!

A simple question though: OSD, you only use one feather to wrap the hackle? I have learned to wrap two feathers (or one, depends on my mood) for the hackle on my Cahills and such. Perhaps it is just different technique and water, as I tend to fish alot of very rough water and more sparsely tied flies drown fast. Is this something you just play by ear?

Oh yeah, special help on how to spin deer hair bodies on Irresistable would be welcome! Mine always come out looking mangy! laugh.gif