Fly Tying

I have used the strike kings that Mike mentioned. They work great for the price. Now I am using a pair of XPS from bass pro. They were about the same price as the strike kings. I would be scared to take a pair of high dollar shades where I fish. Can't afford them anyway!

Any time I have fishing glasses I use a lanyard so I can keep them.

Kevin

Yep! That one is important, and look after them once you have found the pair that works for you. I have also seen people with say a pair of low light polarized glasses, to standard light depending on conditions like cloud cover and light backgrounds.

For the past few years I have used my tri-focals and Cocoons. Not as good as the high dollar prescription fishing glasses I once wore, but...

I usually use two pair, polarized brown tint for bright times of the day, and Amber tint for morning and evening, plus on overcast days that aren't very bright. Berkeley glasses work great and at under 20 bucks if they break( like when a huge catfish spits your buddy's hook and a 2 ounce weight hits you in the face!) they are very easy to replace! Also the amber lenses can be used all the time, but it starts to hurt your eyes because it captures the maximum amount of light and amplifies it, which is why they are good for low light conditions, so be careful if you wear them all day.

I am not trying to start a fight ... but are you actually using "brown" and "amber"???

I thought the "Amber" ones were what we all would call "brown", and "yellow" ones are the ones that amplify light as you state.

So, do you mean "amber" (brown) for mid-day and "yellow" for morning and night?

I am asking, because I used to have a pair of yellow polarized glasses from Strike King ... years ago. I absolutely loved them ... and now I can't find another pair. I'll have to look into the "Berkeley", "Cocoons" and "fit-overs" to see if their "yellow" is what I am after.

Hey Mike, I think you will like the Cocoons. I bought the amber. I will say that in my creeks I seldom use tinted glasses at all. I seem to be able to see better with no tint. It is mostly shaded by the tree canopy. Never tried yellow.

I think the "Strike King" polarized glasses at Walmart are up to 14 bucks a pair. They work great, but only for about half a season before they start getting a little cloudy. But at $14.00 a pop, you can buy a new pair every 6 months for the next 5 years and still not spend as much as one pair of expensive glasses.

Oh, and when you drop a $14.00 pair of glasses in 20 feet of coffee colored water ... you just say, "OH well." and forget about it. You won't have quite the same reaction when a $400.00 pair goes for a swim !!!

I'm of the same camp. Use the $15 Berkley's from Wal-Mart. After going through several pairs of expensive ones I gave up. I never lost any but they would get smashed or even one day I had a lens blow out on a $300 pair of shades running across a lake in a bass boat. And no they wouldn't warranty that.

Hell if I have to buy a new pair of Berkley's every 3 or 4 months I'm still ahead. Plus I can afford to carry a couple of extra new pairs with me.

Great topic!

I have been a "Sunglass Murderer" for many years! I have sat on, lost, scratched, broken more pairs of sunglasses than I care to admit. Just ask my wife!!!

While not having to get back into the prescription realm as of yet (already went through the eye surgery route ten years ago) I am just getting at that age for reading glasses. I use the scripts for close in things such as fly tying and rod building (ok....reading on the kindle, reading books, reading labels....) I can GET BY without having to use them all the time for close in things.

Some of you have mentioned "amber" colored lenses....there are many others..."rose", "yellow", "bronze" etc.....

I have NEVER EVER liked any "colored" lenses aside from the simple "gray" colored ones.

I like the gray lenses because they seem to just darken things as opposed to changing colors of what my non-aided eyes would see. Are there benefits to other colors? Sure, I still keep a variety of lens colors for my shooting glasses but use them MAYBE 5% of the time.

Several of the brands that I have liked over the past decade have been Native, Oakley, and the REI brand (?) "Peppers".......I have LOVED my Native's for years but tend to snap the ear sections off. They have a good warranty plan but it gets expensive replacing frames every 6 months or so.

Current pair is a set of Oakley polarized that I got through US Standard Issue. For folks that are Veterans and such you can go to their site and get "issue" glasses for a drastically reduced price. I like them and are my GO TO pair for anything that does not involve yard work, car work, home repairs.....my mowing glasses are taped together Native's that have scratches all over them but again I am just mowing.

If there were a pair of gray colored glasses that are polarized and are GLASS that are under $150 I would snatch them up but I haven't found a pair that I like.

As MikeChell mentioned earlier.....I ALWAYS have a couple of pairs of the cheapo Wally World/REI/BPS on hand JUST in case I lose a pair...and I have done that a ton!

Better to have a backup pair than ruin a fishing trip! Call it insurance!

Mike :)

Check out suncloud. From my understanding they are a division of action optics. At $49.99 a pair they are tons better than the cheap junk at wal-mart yet will not break the bank. I have been using them for a few years now, I personally find the rose colored the most useful on streams, but that's just my opinion.

I usually use two pair, polarized brown tint for bright times of the day, and Amber tint for morning and evening, plus on overcast days that aren't very bright. Berkeley glasses work great and at under 20 bucks if they break( like when a huge catfish spits your buddy's hook and a 2 ounce weight hits you in the face!) they are very easy to replace! Also the amber lenses can be used all the time, but it starts to hurt your eyes because it captures the maximum amount of light and amplifies it, which is why they are good for low light conditions, so be careful if you wear them all day.

I am not trying to start a fight ... but are you actually using "brown" and "amber"???

I thought the "Amber" ones were what we all would call "brown", and "yellow" ones are the ones that amplify light as you state.

So, do you mean "amber" (brown) for mid-day and "yellow" for morning and night?

I am asking, because I used to have a pair of yellow polarized glasses from Strike King ... years ago. I absolutely loved them ... and now I can't find another pair. I'll have to look into the "Berkeley", "Cocoons" and "fit-overs" to see if their "yellow" is what I am after.

Yes i meant yellow and amber, not brown and amber, the yellows are great for low light.

I have a pair of calcuttas in yellow that I absolutely love, check those out too. The tint is yellow but from the front it has like a prism affect and you can see multiple colors