Fly Tying
Alex C.

how should a fly land

My father in law told me the other day that a fly should always land hook up or the trout will see it and let it float by. This sounded more like an old wives tale than a rule to live by, but I'm guessing theres something to it. So how should a fly land and why? dunno.gif

Traditionaly tied dry flies "should" land with the hook point down in the water so the wings are upright with the look of a fly sitting on the surface drying its wings.

There are inverted flies that are tied with the hook what would look to be upside down and the bend and point of the hook rides up out of the water, but the "normal" dry will have the point&bend submerged.

SD

if you are referring to a catskill style dry fly with upright and divided wings then the fly should land hook side down so that the wings are "up"right!

There are flies tied hook side up but I think some concern is involved with those becasue the surface of the roof of a trouts mouth is not the same as the bottom, I would think you would do more damage to a fishes eyes and possibly brain by stabbing them up thru the roof of the mouth.

So, I think f-i-l is wrong.

just my opinion

john

So, I think f-i-l is wrong.

that's what I figured but I just wanted to be sure. He "knows it all laugh.gif ", so I didn't argue with him rolleyes.gif , but wondered if there was anything to it. Thanks guys biggrin.gif

If the hook bothered the fish, nymphs, wet flies, and streamerswouldn't work. I don't know why trout aren't concerned about the hook, but they're not -- at least until they feel it. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (atroutbum2 @ Feb 2 2005, 03:13 PM)
I alway thought a fly should land in the water dunno.gif

Yes, but do they?

Graham... Deerfly......

Daryn,

I just asked Jools, blink.gif

and she sez -

'gently and to represent the natural insect as seen by the fish'

though I take the point about hoppers

Thanks Julia

QUOTE (jbenenson @ Feb 2 2005, 11:10 AM)
If the hook bothered the fish, nymphs, wet flies, and streamerswouldn't work. I don't know why trout aren't concerned about the hook, but they're not -- at least until they feel it. ohmy.gif

Funny. I recall reading something where somebody argued that the fish isn't concerned by the hook because it doesn't resemble what it is used to seeing in food. The rest of the outline is intact so the hook is just ignored. Chalked it up to a lack of brain power, I think.

(Makes sense to me. After all, a bird will continue trying to fly through a window sometimes if it survives the initial collison, and birds are smarter than fish. So... cool.gif )

Traditional flies should land with the hook down as has been mentioned. I wonder if fish sometimes just view the exposed hook as a trailing shuck?