Fly Tying
add147

Crappie jigs...Yes I know they are not flies...

Well the wife is watching murder crap on T.V. so I went out to my tying bench to tie a few crappie jigs. Yes I know they are not flies but I like this forum and it was the first one I joined since I decided to give fly tying a try. I live in East Texas so trout and salmon just is not in this part of the country. Anyway give me honest opinion...I know the mikechell most definitely will...LOL

post-52478-0-41658100-1400458752_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-21547300-1400458759_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-32240000-1400458766_thumb.jpg

They will definitely work for crappie and probably sand bass too, dont let those "purists" like Mikechell upset you. Lol

mikechell would never do that! I like him because he just tells it like it is...Honesty is the best policy I always say...

Leaving all that stuff aside, the post brings up a good question: why isn't a jig a fly? What, after all is the difference between feathers tied onto a jig head, and a hook with a bead head and feathers? The only real difference as far as I can tell is whether you throw it with a 7-8 ft. fly rod and fly reel, or a 7-8 ft. crappie rod and spinning reel.

And by the way 147... they look really cool, and should catch crappies.

Just don't find yourself in an argument with a trooper in a fly only section of the river.

add147, I would be interested in how those do work. I've always kept my crappie patterns more compact and minnow shaped. Never did the full palmered hackle on crappie jigs. If I used a wooly bugger or wooly worm I would trim the hackle way down, and normally I'd only use that if I lost my minnow jigs in brush and had to make due. Let us know how they do the job for you.

Just don't find yourself in an argument with a trooper in a fly only section of the river.

add147, I would be interested in how those do work. I've always kept my crappie patterns more compact and minnow shaped. Never did the full palmered hackle on crappie jigs. If I used a wooly bugger or wooly worm I would trim the hackle way down, and normally I'd only use that if I lost my minnow jigs in brush and had to make due. Let us know how they do the job for you.

Well no chance of a trooper or a game warden for that matter giving me a hard time...Only rivers around where I live are the Sulphur and the Sabine River no trout there. I was just messing around on some jig heads. The hackles probably are a little long but I like the way they look of course it really doesn't matter what I like it matters what the fish like! My 14 year old son broke his ankle April 1st so I have lost my fishing partner for this years crappie spawn. They might do okay during the summer months when it starts getting hot and the fish begin to move out towards cooler and deeper water. I just started tying stuff mid March so I am still learning. I will admit this hobby is very addictive. I really like it and I am enjoying it so far. I would like to one day maybe build my own rod. That seems very interesting and addictive as well!

Add, they look good! Yeah, the hackle might be a tad long, but the fish won't care. I like what you've tied, should have great action to them! Tying is tying, makes no difference if it's on a jig or a weighted fly hook. I like tying jigs too! I'm a big fan of hair jigs for bass. Time & place for all it IMO!

Mike does provide his honest opinion, which is a good thing! Always enjoy reading his posts & additions to the forum! laugh.png

I don't know about too long, but on closer examination, it looks like you've tied the hackle with the underside (curved side) facing front. I've read articles from tiers that presumably know the rules that you face the hackle forward to make a fly float, and tie it with the curve back for wet flies. It will be interested to hear how these guys do when you drown them.

I don't think it's too long for my taste. I like the chartreuse ones.

I don't know about too long, but on closer examination, it looks like you've tied the hackle with the underside (curved side) facing front. I've read articles from tiers that presumably know the rules that you face the hackle forward to make a fly float, and tie it with the curve back for wet flies. It will be interested to hear how these guys do when you drown them.

I don't think it's too long for my taste. I like the chartreuse ones.

FlaFly,

Please explain what you mean...To be totally honest I just slapped the suckers on the jig. Is there a right and wrong way of tying on the hackle? If there is please by all means tell me so I will know the difference. Like I said I am learning this new hobby. Thanks for your advice!

There are no RULES on how you tie in your hackle. If you have hackle which will float a jighead when tied in one direction, but let it sink when tied in the other, you have the just discovered the Next Big Thing in the tackle world.

I tie jigs all the time, usually bucktails for smallmouths and walleye fishing. I also tie more complicated fly patterns on them occasionally. Same principles. In fact, there are a few folks who have marketed "SPECIALTY" jigs based on fly patterns for the gear fishermen. I read about it in In-Fisherman magazine a while ago.

Another item on the LLLOOONNNNGGG list of "why didn't I think of that?" I've been doing it for decades anyhow.

They will definitely work for crappie and probably sand bass too, dont let those "purists" like Mikechell upset you. Lol

The only thing "purist" about me ... is ... is ... I can't think of anything.

Add147 ... and TideWaterFly ... thank you for the positive opinions of me. I know there's a lot of B.S. that slips in, but I am glad you appreciate my attempts at honest answers.

Now, about those flies!

They look pretty good, although I believe the longer tails will be closer to "Crappie" food than the short tails and no tail designs. Crappie are mostly minnow chasers. They will eat bugs and crustaceans, but minnows are preferred. So, lively tail designs are also preferred.

But ... the Sabine, I know, is full of Texas Red Eyed Bass and those gorgeous Red Breast Sunfish that are almost all orange.

Those will both be more than happy, as they munch on any of those patterns, tailed and tailless alike.

A woolybugger isn't a "fly" either, but that's ususally the first pattern a novice fly tier learns.

Nice jigs. I'd fish any of them for crappie.

I didn't mean to imply that hackle could float a jig head. The info about forward or rear-facing hackle came from several sources. Here's one (scroll down to the first fly pattern). http://flytyersonline/flytying/beginners/part12.php

I haven't tied a bead head bugger yet, but have done several dry buggers (that sounds gross!), and I tied them with the dull surface forward. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

The only thing "purist" about me ... is ... is ... I can't think of anything.

Add147 ... and TideWaterFly ... thank you for the positive opinions of me. I know there's a lot of B.S. that slips in, but I am glad you appreciate my attempts at honest answers.

Lol- i was just saying that kidding about those barbed hooks you use

I didn't mean to imply that hackle could float a jig head. The info about forward or rear-facing hackle came from several sources. Here's one (scroll down to the first fly pattern). http://flytyersonline/flytying/beginners/part12.php

I haven't tied a bead head bugger yet, but have done several dry buggers (that sounds gross!), and I tied them with the dull surface forward. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Oh I wasn't meaning you were saying anything bad I just want to know what you were referring too. Thanks for you input it is always welcome...I am not the type to take anything personally...LOL...I am just enjoying this new found hobby I have found!