Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Cosmos ... the remake

Is anybody watching the "new" Cosmos series?

What a load of rubbish. Sagan's wife should be ashamed to put her name to this. Admittedly, the first couple of episodes were good ... starting the journey to the stars on Earth. True adherence to the original series.

But there are only two episodes left ... and they HAVEN'T LEFT THE EARTH, YET !!!

It's become a soapbox for the global warming crowd ... a whimper for "change".

"What will the calender look like for the next 14 billion years?"

"We'll put internal combustion engines on a shelf in a museum." And wonder of wonders, the Earth will be returned to it's sedentary temperate self ... the ice caps will be restored ... all of the Earth's populations will live in harmony, and we'll happily go into the next 14 thousand years with story book endings.

Garbage !!! Pure, unadulterated garbage.

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum ... I don't mean to offend. I just don't belong to any website devoted to liberal media to vent this on.

Garbage !!! Pure, unadulterated garbage.

Well you are watching TV. What did you expect.

I watch it from time to time and it's interesting, but I never believe anything I see on TV as being the absolute truth. It's only the opinions of those that create it. Liberal or conservative doesn't matter. They ALL bend the truth to push their agenda.

True ... and as I said, I don't mean to offend. But the original "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan was an inspirational, scientific look at astronomy ... not a convoluted way to push an agenda. It was beautiful ... a musically (I have the soundtrack) and visually stunning trip through SPACE ... not a history lesson leading up to climate change and "woe is us if we don't act now" demagoguery.

I don't deny that climate change is happening. I won't even say that we aren't helping it along the wrong path. But I see enough of that. Cosmos was originally a way to get the young interested in science and physics. This show was just a documentary, with nothing insightful or awe inspiring ... or even interesting for the most part.

There was one thing that has been bugging me, and the program answered it last week or two. How did all the bio-mass of that bygone era become coal and oil? Why didn't it get "recycled" through rot, decay and organic breakdown?

Turns out, plants evolved BEFORE microbes and termites and even fungi that would've achieved that "breakdown". Several hundred, thousand years passed, with all plant life just lying there ... no rot or decay ... no fungi or termites. It just got buried and thus became a strata within the sediments of history.

Cool !!!

Other than that ... nothing else has been of note.

Other than that ... nothing else has been of note.

But what about the wonderful animation? Actually that's the part that torques me off the most. Lots of room for improvement.

Seth McFarlane ... who does graphic novels for a living (Spawn, for one), is doing those cartoons. They aren't "animations" ... they're cartoons. The Flintstones are done with more skill.

Like I said, Carl Sagan is rolling over in his grave, and his wife should be ashamed of what has been done.

hey mikechell, brush up on your pop culture. seth mcfarlane, the xp of cosmos is not a graphic novelist, that would be todd mcfarlane.seth mcfarlane is the guy who created family guy, american dad, ted, a million ways to die in the west among other works.

sorry about letting my nerd out.

Just saw Neil DeGrass-Tyson on Monday, it was a fabulous event. I've watched a few episodes and really enjoyed them, it makes you think about just what is out there and what we are doing to our planet. I find it rather ironic that Cosmos is on fox, it is just too funny that a right wing conservative network is hosting a show with an atheist talking about global warming and the fact that the earth isn't only 6,000 years old. The fact that in his talk, Neil was telling us that he is giving the facts about the issue, and not an opinion, in fact he didn't once give anything more than facts during his talk. He personally makes it a choice to not give his opinion about issues, but instead just gives the facts and if you don't believe it, it is still a fact, and you can't change a fact to suit you. I personally like watching the shows that he does, and reading his books. It makes me think more about what is out there and what more I can do to learn about it or move it forward.

hey mikechell, brush up on your pop culture. seth mcfarlane, the xp of cosmos is not a graphic novelist, that would be todd mcfarlane.seth mcfarlane is the guy who created family guy, american dad, ted, a million ways to die in the west among other works.

sorry about letting my nerd out.

Yeah, you're correct. My mistake. I guess that's why the cartoons are ... cartoons.

Just saw Neil DeGrass-Tyson on Monday, it was a fabulous event. I've watched a few episodes and really enjoyed them, it makes you think about just what is out there and what we are doing to our planet. I find it rather ironic that Cosmos is on fox, it is just too funny that a right wing conservative network is hosting a show with an atheist talking about global warming and the fact that the earth isn't only 6,000 years old. The fact that in his talk, Neil was telling us that he is giving the facts about the issue, and not an opinion, in fact he didn't once give anything more than facts during his talk. He personally makes it a choice to not give his opinion about issues, but instead just gives the facts and if you don't believe it, it is still a fact, and you can't change a fact to suit you. I personally like watching the shows that he does, and reading his books. It makes me think more about what is out there and what more I can do to learn about it or move it forward.

I agree with you ... it IS surprising ... but what you say is not all true. Just last week, they put in "the first documentation of the great flood, and Noah's Ark" ... so it's not ALL fact, nor is it necessarily "anti-creationism". Many in the scientific community believe that the "first seven days of creation" were each about 2 billion years long, to fit the current age of the universe.

But I am not upset at the message the show is sending, except that they're using all 13 episodes to tell it. The show is called "Cosmos" ... not Earth Sciences".

mikechell considering at least 90% of the scientific community associates as atheist or agnostic, i think your statement that many in the scientific community considers the first 7 days of creation to be 2 billion years long, to be bull****. most of the scientific community does not feel the need to pander to the religous,and try to make compromises so both world views are correct.

Mike, the laws of Earth apply to the cosmos, and the cosmos have driven the sciences from the beginning of man's existence. I just finished watching the first 3 episodes, and only heard mention of global warming once and that was just mentioned, not elaborated on at all. I'm going to continue watching them again, and see if it is jaded, but what I saw tonite was more history than jaded opinions. It was based on facts that I already knew for the most part, the history of Sir Issac Newton was new to me, so was the history of Edmond Haley and how Haley's Comet came to be due to Newton's calculations. I learned some things tonite, and I really enjoyed watching. Much of it was a refresher course in history and what I've read before, but some of what I saw was educational. I'm a science junky, especially natural sciences and physics. It also helps that I'm an atheist and don't have the constraints of religion to cloud my intake of information. If each show gets one kid engrossed in science, then it's a win in my book. This country is so behind in producing engineers and scientists that we are outsourcing it. Since when are we supposed to be behind a communist monarchy(China) in science, that in and of itself should scare each and every citizen in the USA. We've become reliant on other countries to supply our technical and scientific communities that we've lost our edge in the science sector entirely, no longer are we the leaders in many different areas of research and development of new technology.

mikechell considering at least 90% of the scientific community associates as atheist or agnostic, i think your statement that many in the scientific community considers the first 7 days of creation to be 2 billion years long, to be bull****. most of the scientific community does not feel the need to pander to the religous,and try to make compromises so both world views are correct.

I did say "many" ... not "most". But, 10% is a surprising number of scientist. That 10% does have to reconcile the evidence of science research with the faith of belief. What I said stands.

I'm as atheist as you can get ... but I am not militant about it. Let those who believe, do so, if it helps them through tough times or just to lead good lives. It's no skin off my nose.

Mybadhabit ... I did start this thread by saying, "Admittedly, the first couple of episodes were good ... starting the journey to the stars on Earth." But I thought this was going to be an updated version of the original ... which it most definitely is NOT.

Again, let me state ... I am NOT disagreeing with the global warming crowd, it IS happening. I am NOT disagreeing that we might be helping it along, and bringing about our own demise in the process, it IS possible.

I AM disagreeing that this "remake" is anything like the original imaginings of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos". I am quite disappointed !!!

With all the wonderful photography of the Hubble, Kepler and other telescope technologies ... and we get a few glimpses each episode, without any real discussion of the COSMOS ... just more history lessons.

I can almost guarantee ... based on the students I have in my classes ... this new series isn't holding the attention of kids (even with the amateurish cartoons), and few, if any, are being "engrossed in science".

Oh Mike, you've done it now.... pissed off the liberal fox-haters who have everything figured out; including how fox is a "right wing conservative network" LOL

Typical, making ASSumptions based on fragments of data and preconceptions.

Sorry MyBadHabit, but your statement "I find it rather ironic that Cosmos is on fox, it is just too funny that a right wing conservative network is hosting a show with an atheist talking about global warming and the fact that the earth isn't only 6,000 years old." is a very clear illustration that your vision is just as clouded as you think the other side's viewpoint is....