Fly Tying
Dripster

Do you name your flies??

I have named ALL of the flies I've tied so far:

1st fly

2nd fly

3rd fly

I'm working on 4th fly

I might change my naming strategy though, and use descriptive words. For starters, "3rd fly" (a Fall Midge Emerger) was tied using hair from my dog's arse for the wings.... Anybody have any suggestions for a name? (grin)

Cheers!

Gary

I guess I do.

though I tend to name them after the materials used, like cree adams or cree muddler, or I added a hackle collar to an improved x-caddis and called it x squared caddis. I think I called a wine colored cj a johnny wino and got some black and blue ones in a swap called bruised john.

ultimately I guess it comes down to what someone else would call it. that's probably what it is.

mgj

I'll name my patterns, not after myself, but for the materials used, the place where it works well. It comes in handy for swaps or if it gets posted to a web site.

I name mine to recognise what they do- like

reversedparachute emerger

cranky cripple emerger

Avon special emerger

easypeasy USD

Flat spent spinner etc

The above describes function and build type blink.gif

after that they are all just called after the insects they are supposed to look like -on a good day, with a following wind! cool.gif

QUOTE (RoyChristie @ Feb 3 2005, 07:29 AM)
I name mine to recognise what they do- like
reversedparachute emerger
cranky cripple emerger
Avon special emerger
easypeasy USD
Flat spent spinner etc
The above describes function  and build type  blink.gif 

after that they are all just called after the insects they are supposed to look like -on a good day, with a following wind!  cool.gif

Hi, guys

it is very funny for me the way I name my flies.

First let me tell you about My pattern of Hare's ear nymph

http://akulata.com/catalog/nimfa7.jpg

Well, the name of the fly, that I decided to give was "Dirty Hary".

It comes from the name of the moovie of Clint Eastwood. I call it dirty because any time i use it it is getting dirty with chub, or trout saliva. And Hary is because it is almost like Hare, only one letter difference, ehehehehee.

The next fly I decided to name was Roy's pattern(Hi, Roy, how are you my friend).

http://www.akulata.com/oct/10.jpg

The easypeasy USD, when I saw first at "Salmon and Trout", was very hard to remember the hole nime that is why In Bg I made it well known as "The drunk Queen". Because the fly put on a table dont stend still, and it is reel, stagger;roll, as a lady after 5 Margaritas. I chose to name it Queen, becaouse the May fly is the queen of the flies for me.

The other fly of my is "The Blond Stefany", it is my caddis pupa immitation.

http://akulata.com/catalog/nimfa6.jpg

It is blond because of the colour of the antron(yellow), and Stefany, because the collar was made from the vest from a girl called Stefany.

Best to you all, who give funny names of your flies!

Radoslav Kiskinov - the Shark

I don't usually name my flies until they get caught in a tree, break off with a fish on, or just generally don't produce. I can't put those names on here, but you get the drift......

If I have a new pattern I've tyed up I'll give it a name but the pattern has to be a sharp one, so so patterns I'll let somebody else lable. Coming up with a new name can be harder then tying the fly itself, I like naming my best after people I've known it makes it that much more special I read somewhere that Carrie Stevens did it also. Some of my favorites- Fatal Attraction, Queen Ann, Sir Charles, Sweet Dreams, Sybils Choice.

I don't like naming flies because usually it is only a slight modification of someone elses fly. However I am trying to come up with a good fly that would deserve the name "Blasting Cap" Now wouldn't that confuse a lot of people.

Tom

I like to name mine because it lets me be just as creative as when I tie the fly itself. However, let's say I got the idea for a fly from a lure or color pattern of a lure, then I'll name it after that. "Jailbird" is the name of my contest fly and is named after a musky lure pattern that's called "Jailbird." It's all up to you.

-Vandy

"Jim's Special" (my buddy came up with that one), NACC (not a caddis caddis)

Yeah, guess I name a few of them. Usually just so my buddy and I know what we're talking about instead of describing them. It's not like I'd ever use any of the names in a book or even claim that I was the first to ever come up with the idea. We tend to name the ones that we come up with on our own even though they most likely allready exist.

Jim

my favorite bass bug is made with a moose mane body and yak hair wings..i just had to call it The Maneeyak..i just did not have a choice..lol.

post-55674-0-86030200-1524935423_thumb.jpg

Flytire, all the devil bugs are pulled back deer hair but if you want to make much larger devil bugs try moose manem and they are all quick tyes..

post-55674-0-63237400-1524938436_thumb.jpg

post-55674-0-61372400-1524938482_thumb.jpg

post-55674-0-10014100-1524938535_thumb.jpg

post-55674-0-47980800-1524938630_thumb.jpg