Fly Tying

I've decided that I am not going to post the patterns that are being tied. Since many of us are still trying to make a decision I am going to let us all be surprised when we open our boxes.

So here's my problem. I like to use little pieces of foam for my toe tags. The 20s will hook in to them but the 24s won't, which turned out to be a good thing for you guys. I had about 15 tied flies of different persuasions to put together with teh 20s. Well, decided to use a trick I learned from another tyer in a small fly swap. I ran 6x tippet thru them to affix to foam. Well, out of 15 flies I think I had 8 that the tippet would go thru okay. Others the tie off had blocked the tiny little eye in the fly, and I swore when I did them I looked at every one in the light to make sure it was open. Either thread crept ahead even tho it was cemented or I'm going even more blind. So when I thought I was well done I'm only half baked on this one. Have to go back to vise and finish off some that can actually go on a tippet if some is really going to fish them.

On that thought, I'm thinking I really need to spend more than I usually do on some hooks and get some of the Orvis oversize eye dry fly hooks. Make life easier on a rocking boat or blowing wind for sure.

Well, I've got my 24's redone so anyone with a super steady hand standing in a running brook with 20 mph wind gusts and limited visibility will be able to tie them on easily with an 8x tippet. The only time I use anything that small is when I fish with a guide and let him do it. I am thinking seriously about trying something with them that we used to do with the walleye snells. I have several types of walleye boards with Velcro that you wind the leader on and pin it down with Velcro. I'm thinking of tying some of the 24's or even smaller on the back of a 14 or 16, then winding them on the board. When it may be necessary to try the tiny stuff I can tie the 14 on and let the 24 tag along behind. 'Course the way I cast I know that will end up a tangle but might be worth a try.

Well, I've got my 24's redone so anyone with a super steady hand standing in a running brook with 20 mph wind gusts and limited visibility will be able to tie them on easily with an 8x tippet. The only time I use anything that small is when I fish with a guide and let him do it. I am thinking seriously about trying something with them that we used to do with the walleye snells. I have several types of walleye boards with Velcro that you wind the leader on and pin it down with Velcro. I'm thinking of tying some of the 24's or even smaller on the back of a 14 or 16, then winding them on the board. When it may be necessary to try the tiny stuff I can tie the 14 on and let the 24 tag along behind. 'Course the way I cast I know that will end up a tangle but might be worth a try.

Well if you tied them behind them 14 or 16 you would kind of see were them tiny tiny flies were at lol

And by pre-tying them behind the 14 or 16 you wouldn't have to deal with the tiny eye and tippet on the water. I know a lot people have said they do this tiny behind one they can see and then set the hook at any rise behind the bigger fly. They also mention that the bigger fly often gets taken even tho they've been told nothing bigger than a 20 is going to get touched.

Sounds like a great idea . Like tossing two dry flies hum now you have me thinking of doing the with my smallies as me eyes are getting old .

Fishingbobnelson, likewise; flies are ready for shipping, just need address.

Mine are in the mail Bob. I did do a fibbet tailed, dark quilled and dun hackled #28 that is actually what is used on tailwaters a lot. I just can't get them on the tippet. I know all the eyes are open on the little ones now since I wired them all into the toe tag. When you unwire your flies Bob, don't, I repeat, DON'T sneeze.

Isn't there a rule on the swap forum about checking ages of swappers first before going below a #20?

I can't distinguish a 28 from a speck on my eyeglasses!

I hate knowing that everything in the forest can see better than I ... phhhhhhht

... I've lost a few feathers and misc materials and the occasional tiny fly to the carpet monster due to breathing ...