Fly Tying
add147

Rite Half Hitch Max Bobbin

Anyone used one of the Rite Half Hitch Max Bobbins? I ran across the video on You Tube. Looks pretty neat to me just wondering if others have used them? Would like to hear your comments and opinions.

never used one (i prefer tiemco ceramic bobbin holders) but seeing the video any bobbin holder can perform the half hitch function

Rite Bobbins are the best, in my mind. I have several. I hate having to constantly readjust the conventional wishbone type. The half-hitch version, however, never appealed to me, because if I really need a quick half hitch, I don't need a tool to do one, and I almost never use it as the finishing knot anyway. Darn good bobbins, however, and great customer service from the company.

As said above any smooth barreled bobbin can be used that way to do a half hitch.

I have one and it is excellent. Sure, you can do a half hitch with your finger, too, but this is a little more efficient.

I used, and loved, Rite bobbins for years, until their one inherent problem became too much for me to continue with them. They are not balanced for spinning. Good thread control means spinning the bobbin to achieve the right amount of twist in the thread for the job in hand. The single leg design just does not spin well. Some say you can balance them by placing a finger along side the tube. Doing that significantly slows, and shortens, the spin. I went back to TMC. Basic, but a real work horse of a bobbin.

A friend of mine has one of the half hitch models. He has done half hitches with it to try it out, but, significantly, has never used it while tying a fly.

Cheers,

C.

I have one Rite bobbin, which I hardly ever use. It's a good bobbin, but I find a ceramic wishbone with ball feet easier to use. Since I rarely use a half hitch while tying, that feature never appealed to me.

I know how to do a half hitch I was wondering about the bobbins itself as a whole. Thanks to everyone who shot out their opinion. I might get one but it probably ill be later on down the road. With what Crackaig stated I might just for go getting one altogether because since I am left handed my thread is always separating and I am constantly spinning my bobbin so the thread stands twisted back together. I just place my bobbin on my bobbin hold and spin away. No big deal...

This is why I like this forum so much! Everyone has been so helpful in getting me started in this hobby.

I really enjoy using my Rite bobbins, have been slowly replacing my Griffins and tiemcos over to Rites. I keep several colors and types of thread spooled at all times, i really dislike switching from a Rite to a Tiemco.

Sorry to hear you took the "balance" issue too much to heart. Personally the slight, and I do mean slight, wobbling that occurs is not an issue that outweighs the Rite Bobbin's advantages, but personal preferences are hard to argue against. I too spin my bobbin all the time and have never been bothered by the Rite Bobbin's balance...and I REALLY hate the constant readjustment of a wishbone style bobbin.

They are not balanced for spinning. Good thread control means spinning the bobbin to achieve the right amount of twist in the thread for the job in hand. The single leg design just does not spin well.

I have at least 20, maybe close to 30, but haven't counted in a while; they work great for me and have for years, and as far as I am concerned, they spin like a champ. I do a lot of split-thread dubbing and I use Rite Bobbins for all of that.