Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KennyD

Glue 3D Eyes to dumbbell eyes

I have some dumbbell eyes that I want to glue some 3D eyes on. What is the best way to do this sense the dumbbells are not recessed in like the fish skulls you can buy?

Thank you,

Ken D.

unless the 3d eye is pliable, I would grind each side of the dumbbell eye flat and then use epoxy to stick on the eye

I don't think crazy glue alone is enough

I've flattened the barbells with a flat file, and used crazy glue to mount the eyes, but agree it won't keep them in place. Crazy glue doesn't stick to lead very well. I then coat them with epoxy.

I've epoxied 3d eyes onto barbells too, but the trouble I've had with doing so, is the eyes try to slide off before the epoxy sets. However, if you're willing to do a bunch at one time, then only epoxy an eye on one side at a time and stand the barbells so the 3d is on top. After the epoxy sets up, then do the other side. I still coat the whole thing after the fly is finished for added durability!

Thanks I will try that this weekend. Looking to do about 24 dozen of them. Do one side on Sat and the other on Sun.

Epoxy is a big PIA. Try CCG with finger nail polish over it to take out the tacky feel. You'll never look back.

Rocco

Yep what Rocco said, make sure ends are flat, i superglue the eye on, then do 1 coat ccg hydro kind of on and around the eye, zap it, then another coat, zap it, then sally hansen. It seems to keep them on nicely.

This might be a good place to use the prism tape eyes.

Flatten the end of the dumbbell, use super glue to hold the eyes on then add a dollop of epoxy or CCG to create the 3D effect.

Epoxy is a big PIA. Try CCG with finger nail polish over it to take out the tacky feel. You'll never look back.

Rocco

Noooo! CCG needs to be cured with the UV light but it is under the eye and doesn't get cured. The CCG needs to be exposed. Use superglue and then cover over with Sally Hansen's.

I agree with shoebop! Don't use CCG unless you use it how FlyFishinJam suggests. His way should work well though.