Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
USCGFlyGuy

Baitfish

Last Monday I was lucky enough to be the honored guest on Dave's (Panama Red) boat for a morning of fishing. The weather man said the winds would be 3-5 all morning, but he lied. The plan was to look for Pompano just off the beach, but it was a bust due to the chop. We did however follow around a group of some very large fish which Dave requested I not name. So, we moved inside and caught some trout and lady fish, Dave even tangled with something that had more power than he could stop. How's that line doing Dave? Anyways, the flies I have tied this week are inspired by the huge collection of EP style flies Dave has literraly stuffed in his box. I cant wait for the chance to get out there again and get these torn up!

Pinfish size 4 & 1: Belly is SF Flash Blend and Congo for the backs.

post-46470-0-48820300-1401659081_thumb.jpg

Hollowed tied, goofy eyed thing. It should work if I ever through it.

post-46470-0-01176200-1401659188_thumb.jpg

Greenie Size 1

post-46470-0-35976000-1401659220_thumb.jpg

Size 4 All SF Flash Blend

post-46470-0-47948000-1401659251_thumb.jpg

Good old red and white, with some palmered red bunny strips. Super happy with how this one truned out.

post-46470-0-35918400-1401659286_thumb.jpg

post-46470-0-24638500-1401659137_thumb.jpg

Nice ties. I like the red/white one. It would work for chain pickerel and pike. Have you ever tried doing your own flash blending? I do my own after watching Steve Farrar do a demonstration at a fly tying class he did for my salt water club. It allows you to customize the blend to your requirements. I use Mirror Image and Angel Hair for my blend with a ratio of one pack of flash to one pack of material, since I use my bait fish patterns in both fresh and salt water. If you're interested here's a link to the how to do it instructions on the Atlantic Salt Water Fly Rodders web site. That's the club that Steve belongs to and it's mainly a teaching club and there are a bunch of how to do it .pdf files and videos on it.

http://www.aswf.info/images/flashblending.pdf

Is the red head on that fly deer hair? I know you said red palmered rabbit strips, but it looks a lot like deer hair.

Is the red head on that fly deer hair? I know you said red palmered rabbit strips, but it looks a lot like deer hair.

The head is deer hair. The rabbit if palmered just behind/under it. Thanks

You went fishing with Dave and remember enough to talk about it? Did you get to taste his cooking? I don't know how the fish he cooks taste but they sure look good based on the pics he posts

Looks like it was time well spent. Nice ties. I'm hoping to happen upon some of those big nameless fish in a month or so, assuming I am assuming correctly here.

Little flys are always a treat to eat! Nice collection of flys.

Good looking stuff. Sounds like you guys had a great day out there. You've also got a lot of guts. It isn't everybody who'd be seen in a small boat with a guy wearing a thong and a hot pink Voodoo mask. BTW - watch out for those big "nameless" fish. They've been known to turn otherwise respectable citizens into notorious frauds, liars, and dastardly manipulators of photographs. Kinda like "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" with palm trees.