Fly Tying
Matt McK

Best light fly rod for trout?

Just wondering anyones opinion. I am looking for a fly rod to use on the smoky mountains. Right now I have a 5 weight sage one rod that I use for the Caney Fork River, but I am looking for something a little lighter especially since I will be fishing the smokies. I would also like to be able to use this rod on larger rivers such as the Caney Fork. Also something in the range of up to 400 dollars would be nice. Any opinions?

thanks,

Matt

Matt,

For the money you're willing to spend ... check in with Steve, MidwestCustomflyrods.com, on this site.

I agree with mike check out Steve's custom rods, in your price range and just awesome rods.

I just got back from the smokies and used my 3 wt. (7'9"). It was the right rod for the job there. Also definitely agree with Mike and Fisherboy, get ahold of Steve (steeldrifter on here). He will hook you up with a great rod!

check the daily fishing report www.littleriveroutfitters.com

I fish the GSMNP often and if you are planning to fish the small streams within the park anything larger than 7' is too big. I fish with two different rods depending on how small the stream is. For real small streams with heavy vegitation overhang I use a 6', 3wt bamboo. If there is a little more room, I use a 7', 3wt Loomis. I do have some friends that have had very good days with a 12' Tenkara rod, but they're dapping and not actually casting.

I second the Redington Classic Trout. Its my go to light trout rod. With such a reasonable price you could pick up different lengths. For small steams I use a 7' 6" like AZWoolybugger and for the larger rivers and streams I have a 9' 4 weight. The 9' casts like a dream, at least for me.

Good afternoon Matt.

Great idea for a trout rod in those back country streams. I agree with everyone on the stze. 2-3wt 7 to 7 1/2 foot is perfect. I had been wanting/looking for one a couple years back. I ended up finding a TFO Finesse. I have a new found love for fishing small beaver ponds in the back woods of western Maine.

Michael

My choice for fishing small TINY streams here in the Rockies is a 3wt 7'6" rod that I have been diligently practicing on for the past month!

I will admit that I have NOT caught a trout on it because I am practicing my presentation with a "yarn fly" but it works really well for getting close in situations where my 9' 5wt just is too big!

I have had a fish rise to the yarn and was pissed that I did not have a fly on the end!

Take my info with a grain of salt as I am just starting out but the 3wt will be my go to rod when fishing the small "snake like streams" in the mountains here!

Mike :)

IMO a 3wt is too heavy for tiny streams. My favourite is the 2wt butterstick, but if you want to use it on bigger rivers the 3wt model is also worth a look.

I have a St. Croix…. Avid... three weight rod and its a very good for trout,…. I have had it for 10 yrs. and have caught many very good trout on it ….the feel and cost is great too.