Fly Tying
traq

First flies, home sourced materials, input wanted

Hi there,

I'm just starting out in fly fishing, being a poor recent graduate and a tinkerer I started tying with just what I had around, this includes bits of thread, hair from an old brush, blended yarn for dubbing, found feathers, that sort of thing.

Here are a few of my recent flies, I'm taking them out this coming weekend to try them out on a medium river here in southern Ontario, and I still need to find a way to make the damsel fly float reliably, I think I may have some scotch guard squirrelled away somewhere, but right now I'm just churning out a bunch every day to mimic what I see people putting up on the web.

I'm totally new to this, so any tips appreciated!

post-53195-0-02977800-1401739843_thumb.jpg

post-53195-0-89713800-1401739856_thumb.jpg

post-53195-0-09374400-1401739865_thumb.jpg

What's the tail material in the first one? All of those will catch fish - keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback!

The tails on the first two are just regular sewing thread.

My goodness! If you are just.. ( and I mean JUST) starting out and tying, you are well... WELL on your way. I especially like your Damsel ( the second one). Foam? on the Damsel? look it up... come on - you know ... GOOGLE!

BCT

The first one is quite nice looking really. For the damsel fly you could dig around and see if you have any foam. Somethings have foam seals on them or a dollar store might have some craft foam or foam decorations real cheap. Good luck

For simple material flies, I think you'll be please with the number of hits those will draw.

This time of year ... go looking for some thrown out flip flops. Or go buy a pair form a cheapie store. You can cut square pieces, or you can get some round tubing to make punches. Cut out small pieces of foam and use it to make the thorax/head of your damsel flies.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips, I guess it doesn't really matter if the fringes get a bit soggy so long as the body still floats somewhat convincingly, eh?

I'll try a few Mays and Damsels with foam before I head out on Saturday.

traq, those fly's will catch fish and they look great. Your well on your way to being a great tier... Good luck this weekend...

Those are some buggy looking flies and I have no doubt will catch fish for you, very unique ties