Fly Tying
agn54

panfish flies help

I'm tying up a box of panfish flies for my nephew and, as I'm unexperienced in this area of tying, wondered a few things. First, many bug patterns seems to use rubber legs instead of silicone, as is often used. Is there a noticeable difference in the action of rubber legs, especially on foam bug patterns, compared to silicone? Do you have a preference?

Secondly, on foam patterns, is it necessary to use a dry fly hook, in other words would a nymph hook make the fly sit too low in the film, rather on top of it? I assume there is a place for both but are there certain types of foam bugs that work much better with a dry fly hook (like beetles, hoppers, ants, etc) or is the foam so buoyant that it doesn't really matter? I'm tying bugs in size #12-8 range

AGN, a lot of people just say "rubber legs" for legs whether silicone or not just like I say "Xerox" for a copy. I use silicone exclusively and the fish don't seem to mind.

You are correct about the hooks. If your nephew is young, you may want to make sure the bug will be visible by using the lighter wire hook. Depending on the pattern there could be enough foam that a heavier nymph hook will not matter. I use both nymph and dry fly but I'm doubling the foam back so there is pretty good floatation.

Kirk

I would use a dry fly hook, just for the fact that it add as little weight as possible, silicone legs work great, so does bass jig or spinnerbaits skirting. I don't think it matters where in the film the fly sits as long as it floats, bream are by no means picky, especially post spawn bull bluegill. They gobble up lots of food to make up for not eating while on the bed, post spawn bass do the same. As a suggestion try the stealth bomber, in smaller sizes it's a deadly bream fly, catches bass too.

I prefer the silicone legs. The silicone legs you see in fly shops and catalogs are nothing more than spinner bait skirts marketed under a different name and a higher price. Years ago I guy showed me a really simple popper pattern. He called it a fun foam popper. The head is a circle punched out a sheet of craft foam. You pinch the bottom of the circle to form a cupped face and tie it on the hook. Add a marabou tail and wrap hackle on the shank and you're ready to go. Another easy pattern is called Tony's Froggie. The body is a small foam cylinder, think wing posts, you tie in the cylinder behind the eye, and a marabou tail, you bring the thread to the back of the hook, bend the cylinder back and wrap it down.

post-309-0-23390700-1401764463_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-55844000-1401764482_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-30928300-1401764570_thumb.jpg

depending on what foam flies you are tying a nymph hook may be better because it makes the fly land the right way.

If I had to go armed with only one surface fly it would be a Yellow craft foam spider on #10 Aberdeen hook. If you get it hooked on a tree or something you can just point your rod at the fly and pull until it straightens the hook and it comes loose. This is assuming you are using a 6# tippet. You can then rebend the hook and keep fishing. Rubber or silicone legs work just as well....... Yellow soft hackle for just below the surface. A blind squirrel with and without beadchain eyes on a 8 or 10 nymph hook for the bottom. The blind squirrel will catch just about any WW fish so be prepared. A big carp may suck it in too. I carry a big fly box crammed full with many patterns but these will catch in most any situation and are a breeze to tie. The blind squirrel is a little more complicated but not too bad. The blind squirrel is usually tied with squirrel dubbing but I use a bright orange sparkly dubbing.

This is great stuff, thanks for the help everyone. Kirk, I have already added a few of your squirrely flies. The foam ones I have done so far usually have the foam doubled over as well so they would float fine. I was just wondering if it mattered if they sat in the film rather than on it. I suppose this matters more for trout than panfish.

Fisherboy, does the stealth bomber dive when stripped, like a slider?

Philly, thanks for the ideas, I really like the circle popper, looks simple enough and should make plenty of noise.

Flytyer, that's one of the things I was thinking as well, if a nymph hook may give the fly a better keel and make sure it lands right.

Ditz, I love the look of the blind squirrel, I will definitely give those a try. Do you ever fish them unweighted or always with the bead chain eyes?

I'll post some pics later of what I have so far and when I am done with the box. Thanks for your help everyone

AGN, that's cool about you considering my Squirrely as a top bluegill fly, thanks. As for sitting in the film or floating high, I misunderstood the question. As for effectiveness, I believe bugs sitting in the surface film are very effective and hook more gills than high riding ones, of course that can depend on the size and aggressiveness of the fish on that particular day.

Are we going to get a picture of the finished flies?

Kirk

Kirk, that Squirrely does not work at all! wink.png

P8302642_zps16e57977.jpg

P8302640_zps1bc34446.jpg

I have found spinnerbait skirts to be more durable than the legs packaged for fly tying. Also there is a much better array of colors.

Mike, cool looking eyes on those Squirrelies. What are they? Also, looks like you're leaving the white tips on? I may have to try that.

Agn54......I use them mostly blind. If I need a faster sink I will use them with beadchain. I have never put lead on them. The Squirrel wing is a pain to tie but I am sure you will love the results. I found them on a carp blog and tied them for carp originally but I have caught everything in my small creeks on them. I have never seen a carp in these creeks sorry to say. Smallmouth, different kinds of sunfish, rock bass, and creek chubs. I think the fish take them for both crawdads and nymphs. Great fly!

Mini hopper foam fly does catch fish. Easy to tie too. San wan Worms work well to as a dropper below it or below a small foam indicator.

I think the weight difference between a dry fly and wet fly hook would be insignificant. there are more variables than just the hook.

I use daiichi 1190 barbless dry fly hooks and plain old rubber legs for my foam spiders that I tie and use exclusively all summer long and fish are happy to hook themselves on them even when they land upside down smile.png