Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Squirrel Family

A blind squirrel, and two not so blind squirrels, plus two squirrel things I don't remember the name of.

8CDDC623-92D4-40CD-B0A1-CED5A2E714BE_zps

Just buggy carp killers, but from what I've read on here they have taken just about all warm water speicies.

Those will work!

I like using Squirrel tail too, particularly Pine or Fox squirrel. The natural rusty red colors work great for crayfish imitations in that fly style. I also like natural Red Fox fur for the same reason. Dyed Gray Squirrel has it's place too! Try some dyed orange, as carp seem to respond well to orange.

Fisherboy, do a search for the "Picket Pin" fly. It's a pretty good all purpose fly as well that uses Squirrel tail hair, although not tied in the style you've used here. The original pattern uses natural Gray Squirrel tail, but I like to tie in all kinds of colors. It's a good fly for bass, panfish or trout & probably carp too! smile.png

Thanks tidewater, will look into that, I'm using natural grey squirrel cause that's all I was able to bag last season, no fox squirrels, I might even look into doing the kook aid dye one a gray tail, or do you think that's too bright of an orange, I know you want something around rust orange.

The blind squirrels do look good. I tie all of mine with Fox Squirrel. The original pattern calls for fox squirrel dubbed body hair. I use some flashy orange synthetic dubbing to get a bit more orange and a tiny bit of flash. I have never caught any catfish, drum, largemouth, or carp on them because the creeks that I fish don't seem to have any of these fish. I found the pattern looking for carp flies and the fella swore by them and I tend to believe in his convictions. Again, I believe that the fish take them as both crawdads and nymphs. Size 10, 8, and possibly 6 are the size I have used. I have been impressed with the success that I have had with them. They are basicly a modified wooly worm with a squirrel tail wing and a pheasant tail shell back on the bottom to help them sit upright on the bottom. I have tied them with and without a tail. Both ways work great. I have never used lead eyes but bead chain and blind both work depending on sink rate needed. Actually this pattern is a secret so please don't tell anyone about it.

Yep, don't want everybody to catch all the fish.....:D

Niced little collection of squirrel flies... Most all warm water fish like little squirrel flies, of almost all types...