Fly Tying

Here is one that may be of interest to some - Balsa Popper Fly. It describes one approach to making one but also looks at other Balsa Popper Flies that others have made! Do try this one out, too!

8994978_f260.jpg

I like the variety of poppers. I've been out of top water fishing for a while ... I might have to get back into it soon.

Balsa is nice to work with. I especially like the mid-weight balsa. Nice SBS you put up for folks.

Here are some 3 balsa minnows and a pencil popper on 10xl hooks and a diver on a 7xl hook that I made a few months ago.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture1542-d

Some balsa minnows I call The Rabid Dog on 7xl size 2 streamer hooks I made last year.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture421-ad

Balsa is nice to work with. I especially like the mid-weight balsa. Nice SBS you put up for folks.

Here are some 3 balsa minnows and a pencil popper on 10xl hooks and a diver on a 7xl hook that I made a few months ago.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture1542-d

Some balsa minnows I call The Rabid Dog on 7xl size 2 streamer hooks I made last year.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture421-ad

Nice work!

Fisherboy, yes and no. They are designed to float on a 45 deg angle with just a little of the nose sticking out. When you strip, they dip and dart to the side and when stripped to keep below the surface, they dart left and right and erratic. So, yes, they do go side to side like a Zara but not strictly on the surface like a Zara. If you twitch lightly, they will go side to side and not dip as much but I tend to work them more aggressively although I do work them gingerly letting them dart on the surface.

Also, the large ones cast on a 7wt and the smaller ones on a 5wt.

fshng, thanks.

Used a Balsa Popper Fly today (as well as a COAF Guadalupana and Foam Damsel Fly) to catch Bluegill and Bass. Bluegill really liked the Balsa Popper Fly; they were in their beds and readily striking the popper. Had to make an adjustment in the size of the popper but once found, it was steady hook ups for a while!

Made it out this evening to try the Balsa Popper Flies tied using jig hooks. Caught a few, missed a few, even lost a Balsa Popper Fly. Popper was easier to "pop" with the jig hook and the movement was erratic like a wounded bait fish! Picture and video below.

DSC01051.JPG

It's a blast catching those little bass on the small minnow balsa bugs. I love watching them come in behind with a little head wake, those little guys are fun to catch - good stuff for sure!

Kirk

Another round with a Balsa Popper Fly this evening. Caught six Bass, there was a Bass #7 but it came off the hook, and then out my hands when I picked it up. It got away! Had a fun time, liking the jig hook on the popper fly!