Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Water Color/Streamer Color

When the water is a bit high and caramel color what colors do you like for your streamers? That's what the water looks like now.

Kevin

I use Black when the water is off color, I have tried white and other bright colors but seem to have better luck with black.

Rodney

I used to use white, but recently I've had good success with a sort of creamy tan color. Black is good as mentioned above, and purple is supposed to be one of the best colors for colored-up water.

If the water is really colored up--like chocolate milk color--then I go white or bright yellow. Hareline makes zonker strips in the "fire tiger" color scheme now, and those work really good in dark water, too.

If its chocolate coloured I avoid fishing. I believe the fish dislike the silt in the water and hold up untill the waters dropping or at least the colours dropping out. Then black or mix of oranges yellow and red will be the go to.

my rivers are peaty coloured whole time and gold or black bodies with the red, yellow, orange wing are most popular.

If its chocolate coloured I avoid fishing. I believe the fish dislike the silt in the water and hold up untill the waters dropping or at least the colours dropping out. Then black or mix of oranges yellow and red will be the go to.

my rivers are peaty coloured whole time and gold or black bodies with the red, yellow, orange wing are most popular.

Piker there's your next streamer swap. To do each fly to match your local colors for each person.

Kevin