Fly Tying
jbieg

First attempt at pheasant tail

Attached is first attempt at pheasant tail (or anything that is not just 'tie randomly'), size 16. Used Olive everything (except for the peacock herl). Will use brown next time but wanted to give olive a try.

post-53256-0-32211000-1402256261_thumb.jpg

Yup, that'll fish! Pheasant tails are my go to, just seem to catch fish all the time anywhere.

Jbieg,

I would fish it....hell I would fish anything I tied!!!

My critique is on the quality of the pic....can you post a higher resolution one?

Second....it appears that you snipped the top of the PT off with scissors. I personally am not sure that it matters but it seemed to me that you did.

GOOD spacing on the wire. Get acquainted with that! You are doing well for your first one...by the way good for future ones as well IMO!

Cheers,

Mike :)

By the way WELCOME!!!

and welcome to the community of tiers! You will find many diverse folks. Tying is an art and science, but (my bias), not so much a science as many claim.

When I first started, I received instruction to always use the natural tailing (i.e. don't clip the ends of tails, wings, etc., use the natural points.) Well, after a couple decades, I've decided I enjoy sculpting my flies. I use my scissors to sculpt when I think it's needed, and I don't apologize for it. The trout don't love me for it because they fall for it every time. Take a look at natural insects; the outline of their wings are perfectly smooth, aren't they? Are their tiny "points" at the end of antennae or tails? -- no --

I still like natural tips, and I like the wild look of not too sculpted. But, as a fly shop owner once told me about 10 years ago (whom I tied for), my flies are tied to catch fishermen, that is my living. What catches fish, well, that is the best kept secret ....

Good job and again, welcome!

Nice job - that should fish just fine. djtrout has it figured out - don't let the fine details beat you down. Trout have a brain the size of a pea; they can't count legs on a fly, or reason. Everything they do is by instinct, nothing else. As for "neat" flies, have you ever seen a drowned insect? They aren't very "neat and tidy" looking. Most of what you do when you're tying is for yourself, not the fish.

Frankly jbieg, I have no idea if it's correct or not, but I will say it sure looks nice to me.

Thanks all.... will keep working on it. Just started but.... I spent most of the evening working on varied patterns and the time disappeared without a trace (a good thing).

To answer:

- Yes, I did clip / snip the wings... simply because I was unsure at first on length and then second-guessed it. Have to remember that comparison with hook shank length, etc....

- Read a post after-the-fact that mentioned a pull and break method versus the snipping (more for the tails versus the wings) but.... will figure that out based on application.

- Attempted to take a clearer photo.... camera would not cooperate. Will also figure that one out with time. Other camera / other lens maybe.

Need to figure out the more common hook sizes for certain patterns (have been reading the fishing reports / articles and going off of that).

Thanks again for the 'Welcomes' and glad to be a member of this group.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a beginner also. When I start a new pattern, I practice with an extra large hook. It's also easier to capture with a camera.

Jbieg,

I have been fishing for a bit so I apologize for the delay in my response!

Looking at your PTN (Pheasant Tail Nymph) the wings are VERY HIGH.....here in Colorado where I am learning to tie, the wings are sloped down from the thorax. You can tie in a couple of wraps to bring them down along side of the thorax.

One thing I learned last week is SIZING!

You can make a pheasant tail go a LONG WAY.

I tie the tips in and use the body of them to wrap the shank. For the wing case, I try my best to keep the but ends near the tie in point but I keep in mind the length of the wings when I wrap forward. This is more of an "experience" thing as I do not have a "formula" for it. What I like about taking the time to measure the pheasant fibers is it makes me thing a couple of tying steps forward.

I am getting used to it now but after 30 or so of them the past few days, I am finally getting the technique down.

Mike :)