Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
caswilso

Look at this huge bass!

You wouldn't believe the fight this monster bass put up! ;)

Okay, okay. I know its, like, a 3 incher, but a bass is a bass, right? I caught this sucker off a fly that I pretty much freestyled from turkey feathers (remember that, "These Turkey Feather's are calling my name..." thread over in the Beginner's Corner?).

Anyway, just thought I'd share the picture because it gave me a good laugh when I pulled it out of the pond.

(I apologize for the quality of the picture... Pops doesn't know how to work an iPhone camera...)

post-53087-0-26546000-1402279400_thumb.jpg

Is Pops the one who posted the pic lying on its side? :-)

The way you photograph a catch like that is to hold your pole so the fish is about 8 feet in front of you, and have the photographer take the shot so it looks like you're holding the line. I've had bluegills that were about 5 feet long in some of my old film pictures.

Anyway, what kind of fly did you catch him on?

Yeah ... if you have one, you gotta show what your turkey feather fly looks like.

Cute bass ... and I understand why the "dirty old men" hit on you.

Hopefully, your next catch on your own fly will be a bit more ... impressive.

Is this your first fish caught on a fly you tied? You don't mention that so I'm betting it's not. Doesn't really matter as it's always nice to catch something on a fly you tie yourself. And yes, even a little e guy like that puts up a scrap for it's size.

A fish is a fish I think. Nicely done.

BCT

FlaFly- Hahaha, apparently I don't know how to work a computer either! :) Sorry, didn't realize it was flipped on it's side when I posted it! I'll remember that trick, though, next time I catch a baby bass. I can just see it, though. Having my dad try to take a picture with my phone and then me yelling "Hurry, Pops! Push the white button!! No! No! Not the home button! Got it? Okay, let me see! Uh, why is your finger in the way of the picture...?"

The turkey feather fly sorta looks like a bad imitation of a wooly bugger, but then again it doesn't. I'll have to post a picture here in a bit and show y'all.

BCT- No, not technically the first fish off my own flies. But still, I think catching fish on your own flies (whether it's the first or the 100th) is still pretty exciting!

To paraphrase John Gierach, a fish caught on a fly you tied yourself is automatically six inches longer than one caught on any other fly. Nice catch!

My first fish on a fly was a bluegill about the same size as your bass--hooked on an 8-wt. rod, no less. I was so excited that I rowed my rented, leaky john boat to back to the dock where there was a pay phone so I could call my dad and tell him about it. To his credit, he didn't even ask about the size of the fish. He just said, "good job", the only correct response. :)

Almost all the bass from the Potomac & Shenandoah after the floods back in the 90's were about that huge, but so much fun! Adding them all up used to catch yards of bass in a few hours.....