Fly Tying
Goats

File a police report?

Has anyone ever considered filing a police report on a swap organizer that keeps all the flies. Each fly retails for $5 = (11 x 5) x 11 = $605 of stolen goods if there are 11 swappers plus the bum swap miester.

The address and name of the degenerate is known.

The forum has swap rules that could be argued to be type of agreement and there would also be a record of the criminal's agreement through posts on the forum.

If 11 people make a complaint to the local police department about one guy, I'm pretty sure the police are gonna do something about it, I mean if someone stole my bike and it had a value of $600 and I knew who did it and had proof, and also knew where the person lived, calling the police would be an afterthought, I would have to try real hard not to drive over there kick in the front door and smash the suspect's face.

A little overboard I'd think. Let's hope the situation does not come to such dire circumstances that such measures are even thought of. I do agree it is a shame if a person signs up for a swap and then doesn't complete his/her obligation, that's bad enough but if a swap leader doesn't live up to his obligation that's much worse, IF IT HAPPENS. I for one, and many of us, know how bad situations can get in life and family and mess up our best laid plans so let's hope that this is temporary and the flies will be handled as they should be in the near future. I do look forward to the receiving of swap flies very much, just like you do, and for me it's not a monetary thing but just the fun involved.

Come on man ...

We are in this for fun and for some (like me) it's a serious source of serenity. I apply business law and the common law in my profession; I'm in this tying gig to get away from all that crap.

Let it go. Report an unscrupulous swapmeister to the monitors, let the forum deal with it, and don't use him again. Then feel sorry for him.

Above all, I beg you, just let it go, OK?

No way!! HAMMER HIS ARSE!!!

There is local police, Postmaster and FBI to call for fraud perpetrated during interstate commerce and the like....

Or, like djtrout said, report it to the mods and let it go.... Forgiveness frees the victim, but does not necessarily means to trust again either... They made out with 132 flies (if they didn't tie any) BAD Fishing Karma will follow them for the rest of their days... They will have to tie and send a dozen flies for each participant (plus the originals) to ward off this bad mojo...

apparently we all forgot about the guy the stole the ants (I believe it was ants) and now we have another bunch of stolen swap flies

goats

have YOU gone down to the police department or the post office and filed any claims??

I have to agree with djtrout and just let it go.

your retail value of flies seems to way to high in the first place. ive lost more than 11 flies on a good day of nymphing the bottom and getting snagged

I haven't been involved in any swaps on this site for a while, but I've got to agree with djtrout - let it be. Whoever it is, they have pretty well ruined their rep here. Don't let something like this sour a great hobby, just step back and relax. Also, there might be a reason. Over the years, I've seen one members house burn down, more than one in the midst of a divorce, several loose their jobs, etc.

I don't know the exact circumstances here, but most anything is possible. The Cops and courts have more serious things to deal with.

This question was quasi-hypothetical if that makes sense. Yes, I am involved in a swap where the swap miester appears to have stolen our flies, but I am not going to the police wasting their time on this degenerate.

I haven't been a swap miester granted, but how long does it take to open 11 envelopes, sort 12 different flies into 12 piles and then put those flies in 11 pre-addressed and postage paid envelopes and then drop'em in the mail. If you can't do the right thing at least do the minimum by sending the flies back to the tiers or divide them and send without including your own flies. (if you couldn't get around to tying them).

Cut him some slack, alright, whatever. I've never stolen anything in my life so it pisses me off when someone steals from me. I know its just flies and if he's keeping them he needs more than I do.

I've never been burned on this site but I have on others. I think we are monitored pretty well here. I keep an eye out for funny business here and will report it to Steve if there seems to be a reason for it. Prosecution of thievery is no simple thing and it takes way too much time. Who is going to take time off work for court and pay lawyers? Making it hard for a scammer to conduct swaps is the best way to avoid problems. I never join a swap until the swapmeister has had at least 100 posts and has met all the other requirements on FTF.

Goats, I know you've been around for a few years but I have run several swaps on this and other boards. Before you start the "How hard can it be" theme do a swap. I'll join. Put me down for whatever swap you want to run. Then sit and sort a dozen flies, there's always a few who haven't put on toe tags. You count them and sort them, then go thru them again because you end up with an extra and find it's for you but swapper forgot to mention he tossed in an extra for you. Then, when you hjave everything ready to go you go to post and someone put wrong postage on, or included money you have to buy the stamps with, or overseas or Canada where you have to sit and fill out a customs slip. Believe me, it's not the way you call it. I'm first on your swap list...just pick a category.

I also want to point out that the person you speak of (I assume) has been around this board for over 8 years, has been in good standing on swaps before, and I THINK I've done one of his swaps before. I do know this. Calling any long term member a degenerate would get you your exit card on many boards, and rightfully so since in my time here this has not been the type of forum for name calling or threats.

Goats, I know you've been around for a few years but I have run several swaps on this and other boards. Before you start the "How hard can it be" theme do a swap. I'll join. Put me down for whatever swap you want to run. Then sit and sort a dozen flies, there's always a few who haven't put on toe tags. You count them and sort them, then go thru them again because you end up with an extra and find it's for you but swapper forgot to mention he tossed in an extra for you. Then, when you hjave everything ready to go you go to post and someone put wrong postage on, or included money you have to buy the stamps with, or overseas or Canada where you have to sit and fill out a customs slip. Believe me, it's not the way you call it. I'm first on your swap list...just pick a category.

I also want to point out that the person you speak of (I assume) has been around this board for over 8 years, has been in good standing on swaps before, and I THINK I've done one of his swaps before. I do know this. Calling any long term member a degenerate would get you your exit card on many boards, and rightfully so since in my time here this has not been the type of forum for name calling or threats.

shoebop I know what he's talking about. I will let Steve know later. I wanted to see if the flies come before I report him. I have done it before. I also do remember the ants. Goats I know your mad and im not happy either, He was also in my swap and I never seen his flies along with a few other that have never been awol. I have no idea what happened.

Kevin

It probably depends on where you live, here in Houston the cops have a lot more to deal with and probably wouldnt even look into a case of missing lure unless it was a burgulary of a habitation or something like that. I know how you feel Goat I have never stolen anything before and dont like being taken advantage of either; if i was in your shoes I would let karma get him. I dont think he should be able to run swaps anymore though unless he had an issue at home preventing him from at least letting you guys know something. I had a couple of no-shows from my reel-recovery swap and i am still contemplating turning them into the moderators but probably will not doing anything besides not allowing them into my swaps anymore.

This sounds terrible. I hope it is all a big misunderstanding.

I feel for ya. I had one swap that I did not receive the flies that left me feeling sad as it was a great group of swappers. I never saw any confirmation in the swap posts that any of the other swappers got their flies. Previously swaps with this swapmeister were fine, although usually late. The Swapmeister said they were mailed but I never got them. I know things get lost in the mail on occasion . The police? no. but when there's no feedback from the other swappers it makes me wonder what really happened. Will I join another swap? yes, but not with _____.

пошел на хуй