Fly Tying
COMike

Sadness on my end... Vacuumed my 3wt Rod!!!!

Hi Everyone!

Well it was a SAD weekend for me! I have two fly rods that I own.

I made a 5wt 9' 4 piece that I am going to be taking out fishing on a trip to Falcon's Ledge in Altamont Utah tomorrow. I also have an Orvis 3wt 7'6" rod that my wife got me in March.

I have been practicing casting with both of them but unfortunately I learned a very harsh lesson this weekend.

While casting the Orvis 3wt, I stayed in the yard a bit too long and the extreme weather we got here along the Front Range in Colorado hit with a vengeance! I gathered up the dogs and went inside..... I did NOT want to remake the scene from "Caddyshack" with the Reverend on the golf course so it was a FAST run into the house.

I did NOT take the time to break down my two rods and place them in their cases.

Fast forward to the next day and I started vacuuming the house. (Can you see what is coming???)

I did not notice the piece of yarn I use for a practice fly and simply thought it was a clump of dog hair or lint on the carpet.

Within seconds the "fly" was sucked up and my leader and two feet of my 3wt line was wrapped around the brushes within the vacuum!!! SNAP SNAP SNAP....

The tip section of my 3wt (that has never been fished!) was in three pieces on the floor with my fly line entangled in the brushes of the evil vacuum. I was heartbroken and still am. The worst part was this was a gift from my wife and I simply did not have the heart to tell her that this happened at the time.

No chance of salvaging this with my rudimentary rod building skills. No amount of wrapping and epoxy can fix this. sad.png

So my Orvis rod is out of commission and I am going to call them to have it fixed under warranty. Glad they have the warranty but really disappointed that I won't be bringing it out to Utah for fishing tomorrow.

I did tell my wife and she gave me a good "talking to"....LOL.

Lesson Learned: ALWAYS PUT UP YOUR GEAR!!!!

Not certain if I can salvage the line but when I get the rod back from Orvis, I will see what I can do. I think it will work but it might be relegated to a practice line for the foreseeable future!

Just wanted to pass this off to all of you and REMEMBER....put your gear up when you are done with it!!!

Cheers,

Mike smile.png

post-52487-0-42401500-1402324211_thumb.jpgpost-52487-0-90501200-1402324223_thumb.jpg

I imagine Orvis has seen all kinds of ways people break their rod but this may be the first time they hear that the vacuum sweeper ate it.

Well, you did learn a good lesson at least.

Depending on how nice your local Orvis dealer is, and if they have it in stock, they might let you grab one off the shelf to replace it and then they will warrany the the broken rod at your cost ($30.00 I believe).

Hey Switch I might actually look into this!!!

Dave....the vacuum certainly works! I am still kicking myself for the whole incident but it was an inexpensive lesson to learn EARLY on in my fly fishing life!

I have had tackle stolen, broken tips from bass rods when bringing my boat onto the trailer, lost gear in swells, etc...but NEVER had a rod break from cleaning our house! LOL!!!!

I will be placing this in the book of knowledge!!!!!!\

Mike :)

OUCH!! I've broken 2 rods in the car door (you'd think I would have learned from the first one). I'd take Switch's advise, but be prepared to accept some jabbing from the Orvis guy.

Can't wait for the "jabbing"!!!

Perhaps they can put that in their warranty claim.....Vacuuming!......LOL

I am saddened, with you, at the loss of the rod (hiding my mouth behind my hand).

I truly hope you can ... oh, I can't keep this up.

You know it's human nature to laugh at other's misfortunes (as long as there's no blood) ... and I am laughing at your story.

The chauvinist in me first thought ... "Why is HE vacuuming the floor??"

The husband in me thought ... "Great guy, doing the vacuuming. Really makes the rod breaking a tragic thing."

The fly fisher in me thought ... "Wow! Tough break, just before a trip."

But ALL I could do externally was laugh as I read the story. Perhaps the rods should come with a large warning sticker, "Do not place near vacuum cleaner"

Mike, that is a tough break (no pun intended)--who would've thought the universe would punish a guy for doing a little housework?! I plan to tell my wife tonight: no more vacuuming for me--it's just too risky. :-D

Seriously though, if that had to happen to one of your two rods, it's better to have it happen to the one that has a warranty, at least. It would have really sucked (still no pun intended :) ) if you'd broken the one you built yourself, and that commemorated your beginnings as a fly fisher.

Good luck in Utah! We'd love to see some pictures from your trip.

in actuality it is your wife's fault. She has never properly trained you on the proper use of the vac. I am totally sure whatever small amount of training she may have given you it did not include any mention on the proper technique of missing flies or avoiding fly rods. Not Your Fault.

My story and I am sticking to it

Very tragic story. Very funny story also. When you get it replaced you just have to come out of the shop and yell "EUREKA!!!"

Oh that's terrible. I had my first broken rod experience the other day. I was bass fishing with my 7 weight TFO BVK and while climbing along a cliff to get into position to cast to a hard to reach hole I jammed the tip into a crevice in the rock. While trying to back up and free up the tip I slipped and snapped it right at the first ferrule (spelled correctly?). Super bummed.

post-52247-0-82197300-1402364529_thumb.jpg

Mike, if it helps any, you just made me feel better about dumping (and losing) my brand new one in the river a few weeks ago. Not good, but better. smile.png

I'd say you failed your vacuum cleaning exam and should be banned from using it. :P

Cheers,

C.

Switch has a good idea. Take the broken rod back to Orvis (assuming you live near a store), ask them to send it back for you, then tell them about how much you needed it for the trip. Hopefully they will give you some new pieces (if they have them in stock). It's important to act very depressed.