Fly Tying
Ty Flyer

What is tenekra fishing

In the most simple terms, it's like fly fishing with a cane pole, but a lot more artful. Here is a whole website devoted to it. Some people love it, others not so much from what I have read. Personally I have never tried it so have no real input to give on how it is. Here is a website devoted to it with plenty of information and videos, etc. (http://www.tenkarausa.com)

It is ancient Ninja way of fishing. They were known as the "Trout Assassins". It was banned for its lethality across the globe.

All joking aside, it is just another way of fishing, minimalist style... No reel, just a long, very flexible rod... Just learn the lingo and you'll be set! ... lol.

So, that's just another fancy name for a bamboo pole, right?

I've had bad experiences with those... Like, slap-your-momma-in-the-back-with-a-whopper-of-a-bluegill baddd.

I've had bad experiences with those... Like, slap-your-momma-in-the-back-with-a-whopper-of-a-bluegill baddd.

Caswilso ... that's MY philosophy on it. "Tenkara" is just Japanese for "Cane Pole". But don't let the Tenkara fanatics hear you say that.

Caswilso ... that's MY philosophy on it. "Tenkara" is just Japanese for "Cane Pole". But don't let the Tenkara fanatics hear you say that.

Oh, dear, I wouldn't want to offend them, too. Sweet mother, haha.

yeah, the knuckleheads here in the US have made a religion of it. I was exposed to the style of fishing in Japan, where it apparently originated. Fixed line, no reel, "casting" only the one length of line. Pretty much EXACTLY like cane-pole fishing here except it's commonly done in moving water (not that cane pole fishing isn't also done in streams...) but with a pole that costs $200 and you have to get Kanji-style tatoos on your arm and butt, which all your friends will think look really cool.... you, of course, have no real idea what they mean except what you've been told, and in reality they mean "squid soup" and "flat tire".

I never knew I was doing something similar, pocket water fishing with a 9' 4wt rod in the mid 90's... No need for the reel, just enough line to hold it out away from you or "archer" the fly in its intended direction...

Any time I hear people talk about Tenkara, I think of that video, so I had to share it.

Love that video ... "learn the lingo" ... the only thing they're missing, I think Tenkara anglers should wear a Hakama or Gi and Obi.

C'mon... Everyone knows the Ninjas wore shinobi shozoko! lol...

(I had to look it up) ph34r.png

I never knew I was doing something similar, pocket water fishing with a 9' 4wt rod in the mid 90's... No need for the reel, just enough line to hold it out away from you or "archer" the fly in its intended direction...

I sort of feel the same way about my 4 wt rod in certain areas. I always have the same length out so why the reel... I'm not using it to fight 6 inch brookies...

Anyways I threw down on a tenkara blank and boy is it different. That whole 5:5 6:4 nonsense didn't make sense until I had one in my hands. There's a vast difference in the actions of the top vs bottom sections. They are certainly not a cane pole, you can probably touch the tip to the butt without breaking if you tried. Anyways my cork should be here today and I'll get a proper handle on it soon.

That's exactly right...except that you have to say "Ahh Sooo" when you catch a fish and cook the trout in tempura batter! biggrin.png