Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bugsy

Matarelli whip finisher: Interesting difference in patent

I bought my first Matarelli whip finisher in 1981. It was my first whip finisher in fact. I say first Matarelli because I did buy another in case of loss a few years later. That loss never happened; still using the same one. Wish all tools stuck around so long.

Getting to the point.... I was reading the patent for Frank's whip finisher and noticed a curious difference between it and the tool that we came to love (well, most of us I guess). Here's the patent info:

http://www.google.com/patents/US3866959

If you view the drawings in original size, you should pick up on the difference instantly. Here's a peek if you don't want to bother with all that work:

post-3898-0-75271300-1402372304_thumb.jpg

I wonder how popular the Matarelli whip finisher would have been through the years had it been this exact design. To me, the difference between using it and using only fingers seems negligible. Anybody know if Matarelli ever put any of this design on the market?

That is very interesting Bugsy, I can't answer your question, I don't know. I do wonder though if that patient offers any protection at all to the current modified design. This may explain all the copies that are available today. The lawyers would certainly be rubbing their hands together with glee at any attempt to enforce it.

If you want your tools to disappear, tie at a few shows! I have to endure constant "wastage" on tools and materials at them. Had someone try to take a full Whitings saddle once. What he didn't bargain for was that I had been taking lessons as a stage pick pocket. As he turned away I grabbed him by his wrist, and, well, his watch was just there... I succumbed to the temptation, though I did return it, as a very public lesson.

Cheers,

C.

Interesting ... that the thread was supposed to go DOWN INTO the drop loop. Does ANYBODY do it this way?

i think its a non issue as most products don't always matched the cartoon drawing created by a lawyer/patent office illustrator

"Under current U.S. law, the term of patent is 20 years from the earliest claimed filing date"

unless the patent was renewed, would anybody be able to produce it today per the patent?

I don't see how it's any different than most of the whip finish tools on the market except for the Thompson:

6whipfinishers2.gif

What am I missing?

the bend shown by the arrow

no bend in the patent

again its totally a non issue since the patent cartoon shows that area having a slight bend anyway. its just an evolution of the original idea

the bend shown by the arrow

Thanks, I get it now.

Don't feel bad because I didn't get it either...

The original was designed for the thread to go OVER the tool, and to slip off over the top.

What we use now, the thread goes UNDER the tool and slips off the bottom.

I think he produced some of the original design. I believe I have seen one, but it's been many years.

RC. Where did you find the "simple" whip finisher in your photo. I've been using one for years and would like to have a few spares. Tx

Yes, they did produce those of the original patent. I have one, and the instruction sheet says "patent applied for". It's a pain to use, and the reason I never got used to using a tool. You have to completely release tension on the thread while keeping your thumb on the wraps, then hook the loop and finish. The design everybody is used to is far better. I wish I knew back then that the one I owned had been upgraded!

Yes, they did produce those of the original patent. I have one, and the instruction sheet says "patent applied for". It's a pain to use, and the reason I never got used to using a tool. You have to completely release tension on the thread while keeping your thumb on the wraps, then hook the loop and finish. The design everybody is used to is far better. I wish I knew back then that the one I owned had been upgraded!

Thanks for the confirmation.