Fly Tying
RCFetter

Genuine Hare's Mask vs Rabbit

In another forum I read that most "Hare's Masks" sold in the U.S. are really rabbit and that the best real hare's mask is European. I searched back 4 years on this forum and did not find a thread on the subject, i.e. the difference between rabbit and hare for tying.

Does anyone know the significance between the two?

Does anyone know who in the U.S. sells genuine European hare's mask?

Does anyone know the significance between the two?

one speaks with a British accent, the other one doesn't smile.png

hare-vs-rabbit.jpeg

look for a Japanese hare and you get dubbing for 2 lifetimes

Bubalov+Rabbit.jpg

I believe a hare mask has a wider mix of long hairs, short hairs and inbetween hairs. Rabbit tends to be mostly short and soft???

What was it again? Something like rabbits live in burrows but hare's do not? Same family but different species. Have never seen anyone compare the two materials side by side, but I suspect you are going to have to dig quite a bit to find someone selling the "genuine" article (e.g. a quick search shows many UK shops selling Hareline masks).

One should consider, of course, whether or not it is really worth the effort, considering how effective a substitute rabbit is for hare...

Effective sub?? Guess it depends what you are subbing. For a plain dubbing you can hope your pack of rabbit has a good mix of soft and coarse hair. But a real hare will provide tails, soft dubbing, coarse dubbing, range of colours. I would not be without my hare masks. Steve at cookshill does ship to US and his prices are not a reflection of the very good quality of the product.

Effective sub?? Guess it depends what you are subbing. [snip]

Like most American tiers, and more than a few European fishers from the looks of it, I'm substituting rabbit for hare, still tying visually appealing patterns, and still catching fish. Most would consider that effective substitution. You may use whatever other esoteric or idiosyncratic criteria you like, but unless we are discussing a pattern and the historical accuracy of materials is paramount, I do not see the point.

Considering that we have been using rabbit on this side of the pond for decades, not sure why I would send all the way to Europe for a material as mundane as dubbing.

I bet the fish can tell the difference! rolleyes.gif

Anyone ever use Bobcat mask? You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it & Hare's or rabbit mask once it's dubbed! wink.png

In The Art Of Tying The Wet Fly and Fishing The Flymph, it's written that when selecting hare's fur, ask for the hare's mask. It goes on to describe which parts to save and store separately in strong envelopes to prevent critter damage. At the end of the paragraph they wrote "The American hare and the American rabbit are worthless for tying the famous Hare's Ear fly."

I have both, and don't really see or feel any difference between the two at all.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-15878700-1402430243_thumb.jpg

What was it again? Something like rabbits live in burrows but hare's do not? Same family but different species. Have never seen anyone compare the two materials side by side, but I suspect you are going to have to dig quite a bit to find someone selling the "genuine" article (e.g. a quick search shows many UK shops selling Hareline masks).

One should consider, of course, whether or not it is really worth the effort, considering how effective a substitute rabbit is for hare...

Rabbits are born blind, hairless and helpess, like a puppy or kitten. Hares are born fully furred and with their eyes open, more like a calf or fawn.

Many domestic rabbits, which are raised for food and hides, are actually European rabbits, so almost any hare's ear mask you get is going to actually come from a rabbit.

i'm from Poland and whenever my dad see's a rabbit in the woods or just anywhere he says a polish rabbit/hare would kill an american one with it's ear. ha

bt anyway european rabbits/hares a 3 to 4 times as big as these. if you hunt them in poland and hold them by the ears its about 4 or 5 fool long. just my 2 sents

I think when the fish get to the point when they refuse a gold ribbed hare's ear tied with rabbit instead of hare.......................I GIVE UP!!....I QUIT!!

Does it really really make that much of a difference and to who?

Most tyers couldn't even tell the difference