Fly Tying
wschmitt3

Some of my recent flies

These are some of my recent flies. Feel free to critique.

They are: Hare and copper, soft hackle zug bug with a hot spot, olive pheasant tail with sparkle thorax, Carey special, brassie, red and black zebra midges and the last is a cross between a birds nest and fox squirrel nymph.

-Will

post-52247-0-19003800-1402437129_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-87537100-1402437152_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-09134900-1402437204_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-33446100-1402437227_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-09383300-1402437250_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-31186400-1402437271_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-94695400-1402437287_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-70760200-1402437306_thumb.jpg

Generally all good bugs. Tighten up and make the head smaller and neater on the Carey Special. The PT, the Brassie, And the 2 Zebra midges are good to go.

I am guessing from the relative sizes in the pictures that your brassie is larger, the red Zebra somewhat smaller, and the black Zebra smaller still. Keep your midges this slim or even slimmer.

Get your camera in closer for your pictures, and learn to use the Macro function.

Thanks for the comments utyer. The brassie is a size larger than the zebras but the zebras are the same size. Just different distances from the camera. I'm using my phone for pictures my camera battery is dead. Left it in the charger for waaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm self taught in both fishing and tying and going it alone kinda limits the level of refinement I can acheive.

Some More of my flies.

Got my camera working off of the usb cable to take some better photos.

Moorish Mouse

Gurgle bugs

Damsel Fly

Pink and White Clouser

Rubber legs Kaufmanns stone variation

Brown Wooly Bugger (Love this Fly)

Adams

Grey rs2

BWO rs2

CDC Shuttlecock Type Thing

Stimulators

The last two are flies I tied to imitate the Northern Case Maker or October Caddis which I see lots of in the Fall (October as the name implies)

post-52247-0-90749700-1402447335_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-02657300-1402447352_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-52719400-1402447366_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-92784000-1402447381_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-56367400-1402447396_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-53386300-1402447413_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-00707100-1402447431_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-42555700-1402447446_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-72336800-1402447461_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-62415800-1402447476_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-30352700-1402447566_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-86217900-1402447593_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-85824500-1402447620_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-32770600-1402447637_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-38527900-1402447654_thumb.jpg

Over all nice looking work but I believe you are looking for constructive criticism. The stone fly nymph would be better with thinner rubber leg material and a different hook, a 2X or 3X long streamer with a down eye will provide much more consistant hook ups, as the 200R and others like it are very poor in that regard.The other thing you can do if you change to a 3X streamer hook is to bend the shank down slightly about 1/3 of the way back from the eye of the hook. I would also pinch off the tail fibers by about 1/3 on the damsel fly nymph at least. The Stimulaters fish ability will improve by going to a hook like the Daiichi 1280 2X long Dry Fly hook or the hook you used for the last two flies. I tie the tails and wings for stimulators quite a bit fuller but also shorter. The Yellow Stimulator you pictured does not look like it will float very well due to the hook, the sparseness of the tail and front hackle. I'm not familiar with Vermont as to the type of water you will be fishing, keep a note book and watch your flies on the water to see if they working as you expected them too and note the possible changes to make in them and also check there proportions against the real bugs they imitating. I have tried many different body materials over the years for the stimulator as it has been a popular fly here in Montana for a long time. I went to a soft closed cell foam cut in thin strips and wrapped with the rear palmered hackle at the same time thus improving the float ability of the fly and improved its durability by protecting the hackle stem at the same time. Guiding a lot of new fisherman I was always looking to make my flies as unsinkable as possible for the newbies and predominant ruff water conditions of the rivers that I guided on.

One thing for sure, you've been busy! At my rate, those would be about five years of tying.

Over all nice looking work but I believe you are looking for constructive criticism. The stone fly nymph would be better with thinner rubber leg material and a different hook, a 2X or 3X long streamer with a down eye will provide much more consistant hook ups, as the 200R and others like it are very poor in that regard.The other thing you can do if you change to a 3X streamer hook is to bend the shank down slightly about 1/3 of the way back from the eye of the hook. I would also pinch off the tail fibers by about 1/3 on the damsel fly nymph at least. The Stimulaters fish ability will improve by going to a hook like the Daiichi 1280 2X long Dry Fly hook or the hook you used for the last two flies. I tie the tails and wings for stimulators quite a bit fuller but also shorter. The Yellow Stimulator you pictured does not look like it will float very well due to the hook, the sparseness of the tail and front hackle. I'm not familiar with Vermont as to the type of water you will be fishing, keep a note book and watch your flies on the water to see if they working as you expected them too and note the possible changes to make in them and also check there proportions against the real bugs they imitating. I have tried many different body materials over the years for the stimulator as it has been a popular fly here in Montana for a long time. I went to a soft closed cell foam cut in thin strips and wrapped with the rear palmered hackle at the same time thus improving the float ability of the fly and improved its durability by protecting the hackle stem at the same time. Guiding a lot of new fisherman I was always looking to make my flies as unsinkable as possible for the newbies and predominant ruff water conditions of the rivers that I guided on.

Bruce,

So you prefer a straight shank hook for the stimulator? The hook I'm using is a Umpqua U203. Those were my first stimulators and have since been scrapped and the hooks recycled into new ones. I now use waspi superfine for them. I have about a dozen or so that have been fishing well but the next time I'm going to tie some up with foam.

As for the nymph. I agree with the comment about the rubber legs some smaller diameter would probably work better but I am pretty sure the hook was a 3xl with a down eye. Either way I didn't have any success with it the couple times I used it.

One question and one critique. First the question: how did you put the two colors of hackle on your wooly bugger. And the Adams, from my perspective, looks as if you crowded the hook eye, and the wing looks bent as well.

Bruce,

So you prefer a straight shank hook for the stimulator? The hook I'm using is a Umpqua U203. Those were my first stimulators and have since been scrapped and the hooks recycled into new ones. I now use waspi superfine for them. I have about a dozen or so that have been fishing well but the next time I'm going to tie some up with foam.

As for the nymph. I agree with the comment about the rubber legs some smaller diameter would probably work better but I am pretty sure the hook was a 3xl with a down eye. Either way I didn't have any success with it the couple times I used it.

post-52247-0-53514100-1407872893_thumb.jpg

OOOH...heaven forbid.....self taught.....a mortal sin ......just kidding. There are many of us

I assume you fish trout...I fish warmwater but the flies look good to me. The Moorish Mouse needs to have the hair trimmed closer to the hook on the bottom of the hook to open up the hook gap IMO but I am self taught too so what do I know.