Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grandriverbumm

Best Moderate-Fast Action 4wt for 5-600 bux

I have been fishing a st croix avid for 12 years...been a good rod with very forgiving casts. I am looking to purchase a new rod (my avid is a 2 piece and I want a 4 piece), and I fish both nymphs and dry (depending on whats happening) and I think a moderate-fast would work well for me. I am curious what rods in my price range people might suggest?

Thanks

Try an Echo Edge 8ft 4wt. Mine is great and I have some good rods to compare it against. Check out Yellowstone Anglers 4wt shoot out.

Buy a custom rod. You can have it designed to fit your needs and you can easily get it within or under your price point. Steeldrifter on here www.midwestcustomflyrods.com is one builder. I have several of his rods and they are excellent. You won't beat his prices. I have other custom rods as well.

Agree wholeheartedly with Kudu. I will go so far as to say that from the recent experience I've had with MCFR I will probably never buy another fly rod that is not made by him.

Scott

The absolute best rod is the one you have cast and like the best.

There are a TON of rods in your price range and it would be foolhardy to accept a recommendation out of the blue without doing your own research. No one here is going to tell you about any secret or unknown rod that is going to cast better than all others. Find one you can cast well which has the desired action. With the number of rod manufactures and styles out there, one would have a very hard time finding a bad rod, although it take a bit of work to find one your really like.

Custom rods were brought up. If you are hard on your equipment, I would think very hard before buying a custom built rod.

Custom rods were brought up. If you are hard on your equipment, I would think very hard before buying a custom built rod.

No idea why you would say that. Custom rods are no different than any factory rod when it comes to warranty work and cost no more to have warranty work done either. Any legitimate well respected custom builder will always supply a warranty and take care of his customers just like I do. If a builder does not continue to support his customers after the initial sale then he's not providing proper service IMO.

Far as the "best" rod I agree that is a completely personal choice. What may feel best for one person may not be best for the next. Some people like faster actions and some slower, so hard to suggest what is best for you without knowing your casting habits/fishing style etc etc.

If you are hard on your equipment You should get a custom rod. I recently broke a custom 6wt from in a trolling motor I sent it to him and for a very reasonable price had it fixed in short time. Whatfly you have probably had a bad experience but I assure you the custom rod builders I have dealt with guarantee their products and expect them to take abuse. I suggest you deal with some reputable custom rod builders. My philosophy is if it's my fault I pay for if not it should be paid for where I bought it.
Grandriverbum, I have fished numerous high end rods: Helios 1 and 2, G Loomis, Sage 1 etc. And I stand by my statement buy a custom rod. My 10 wt matrix blank from Steve is lethal. I have a 5 wt from Brent Bonar (very pricey) is great and a Rembrandt of a rod (built on a St. Croix blank). The 10 wt Steve built is probably the best cast rod I have ever held (mhx blank). It is well within your price point. I have a 6 wt from Steve that has Galvan reel with sinking line that is my absolute favorite. Once again well within your price point. I value my time on the water more than money and I can afford to buy the sage1 or Helios 2 etc but I stand by my recommendation and disagree wholeheartedly with whatfly.

I can tell you from experience, I have a 7'6 4wt on an MHX blank that Steve (steeldrifter) built for me and it's one of the best casting rods I have used, I have some orvis rods that I really like as well but my go to rod is always my custom built 4wt. It's not just because it looks the nicest it's because it really does cast great. Was also a fraction of the price that I've paid for my orvis and sage rods. I'll most likely be getting a 6wt for myself and a 4wt for my wife sometime in the near future because I like that blank so much.

I just bought a new 9 ft 5wt Sage VXP for $296.59 including shipping. I snagged the last one, WhooHoo!

It is rated fast and not medium fast but I like fast rods.

I was fortunate, I was talking to a shop about my need for an 8wt and he strung up 9 rods and set me loose in their parking lot to cast them all. It was one of those things where the most and least expensive were my least favorite rods for my casting abilities. Being relatively new to fly fishing, casting that diverse set up really made me aware of their differences. Coincidentally, his "most popular" rod was the least comfortable to me. I would have been disappointed if I followed the crowd and bought sight unseen. Do yourself a favor and test them out. I know some shops will even let you fish a demo before you buy.

Whenever I can, I always cast any rod I plan on buying, or building. I am perfectly happy with several low end 4 weight rods I have. Redington, Cabelas, and one custom built on the cheapest Forcast blank I could find. All get the job done, and I have landed fish up to 5# on the Cabelas Stowaway 6 piece. My personal preference, is for the least expensive rod that includes a no fault warranty, no matter what the line size. I have also been able to adjust to most actions so I don't have a preference there.

If its relatively inexpensive, and I like the way it casts, that's good enough for me. I am stating PERSONAL opinions here, there is no one perfect action or rod for everyone. I don't feel that all these 400 to 1000 dollar rods offer that much of an advantage. Show me ANY rod that cost 5 times as much as the ones I have, that I can cast 5 times as far, and I'll buy it.

I just got my Sage VXP for less than $300 delivered. After test casting it with the rated line weight, I would say that it is a moderately fast rod and NOT a fast rod by my criteria. It is light in the hand, smooth and accurate.

If you can get one to test cast I think it would be a good rod for you.