Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Leaving smaller gaps between stick on eyes

"catching" is Mike's fancy term for snagging. Some really hoity toity types call it "sight fishing"

Actually, with the list of diseases currently surging through Africa, "Catching" is what hope to NOT be doing next month when I am there.

So without forming a larger thread head which would ruin the slim shape I'm after, any tricks for reducing the gap before coating with UV resin???

Green arrows show what I mean

attachicon.gifmind the gap.jpg

put a bend in each stick on eye like this <o> and then apply to the thread head. the bent eye will adhere to the eye with more surface area

for added insurance I use clear mono thread over the stuck on eyes and then add the uv resin. the thread will be virtually invisible

Mike, just get all your shots and please don't bring home anything you might catch....or snag.

Yeah ... I've gone through the first round of shots. I've got some follow up shots, but I'll be protected from everything I CAN be.

There's no vaccine for Ebola, though, and that is one nasty disease.

I will be extremely careful while I am there.

Just don't drink the water, or walk barefoot, or get bit by any bugs, or touch anyone, or, or or... My sister went there on a mission trip a couple years ago, from what she said, and the pics, you'll love it! Oh and if they make you buy a live chicken, kill, and cook it like they did her; SAVE THE FEATHERS! Are you gonna take anything to fish with? They actually have largemouths in Southern Africa.

I'll be in Liberia ... which is where all of our hurricane weather comes from. About mid way up the west coast.

Yes, I'll be taking my travel gear with me. I sure hope to catch something native to Africa. For me, it will be a bit of a let down, to go over there and catch the same thing I catch here.

Fisherboy ... I will be in the city of Monrovia ... no wild predators there. At least, not the four legged kind.

Piker ... With the Ebola spreading, I'll be keeping a fair distance from as many people as I can.

As long as you don't partake of any monkey brains on the half shell, you should be OK. Just to be on the safe side though, you should probably pass on the fruit bat chili at the hotel buffet.

Oh, toothy FISH !!! Well, I don't know what kind of fishing I'll be able to do. I'll probably be saltwater fishing from the shoreline. I don't expect much. I know there are no Tiger Fish in that part of the country, so I am not too worried about it.

I plan on being careful in ALL aspects of my visit.

PeterJay ... If the fruit bat chili is cooked, I'll probably try it. Monkey brains I'll pass on. With the crowd on this site ... it'd be too much like cannibalism.