Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

BIG Mylar Tubing

I came across some mylar tubing that is almost a half inch in diameter. I tie a lot of bodies with the smaller stuff but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this bigger stuff. The only color they had was silver but it was .29 cents a yard so I just couldn't resist getting ten yards to experiment with. I'm not sure what to do about weighting it because if I put lead tape on it like a normal, smaller, Zonker body it will weigh enough to be almost impossible to cast with a lighter rod. I'm thinking that a big bass might want this for an early morning snack if I can just figure out how to use it without making a Zonker on steroids. Or maybe a Zonker on steroids wouldn't be a bad thing and that would give me a reason to knock the dust off the rod tube with the 9wt in it. Any ideas or advice will be welcomed.

I've used that size tubing for covering large foam cylinders I use for making Bob's Banger's. Also for making Siliclones a bit tougher.

post-309-0-41299500-1402881049_thumb.jpg

It's sort of chuck and duck with a 6 wgt but casts fine with an 8 wgt

If you're intent on tying Zonkers with it, maybe use aluminum tape or heavy silver foil instead.

Philly, I really like that idea a lot. I'm not stuck on zonkers at all, they were the first thing that came to mind when I saw the stuff. I usually tie smaller flies and a size 10 or a size 8 is starting to get rather big to me. Thanks for the idea or advice. Now I have to dig around and see if I can come up with some bigger hooks.

Post a picture. If it is the right stuff I will show you a pattern that knocks bass and stripers out of the water.

I have some if it's like yours. I got mine at a craft store. I have 3 colors but there are more. I like it for bend back bodies. Also for streamers.

Kevin

I have some if it's like yours. I got mine at a craft store. I have 3 colors but there are more. I like it for bend back bodies. Also for streamers.

Kevin

I have looked in craft stores for mylar tubing with no luck. Can I ask what the store was and in what department. The employees at the store never know what I'm talking about so if I know in what area to look, maybe I will get lucky next time. I got some smaller stuff before but no larger mylar. It was for wrapping gifts I think.

Kevin

I have looked in craft stores for mylar tubing with no luck. Can I ask what the store was and in what department. The employees at the store never know what I'm talking about so if I know in what area to look, maybe I will get lucky next time. I got some smaller stuff before but no larger mylar. It was for wrapping gifts I think.

I got mine from Pat Catans and JoAnns.

Kevin

The place that I got mine is an outlet store. They have all kinds of sewing and craft stuff but it is constantly changing. It is like Big Lots used to be because it is here this week but sold out and gone the next week and something new replaces it.