Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kavin2845

Questions about Fly Fishing

So i was considering buying a Fly Fishing rod since its the only type of fishing i haven't tried yet, i have bait casters, spinning reels, and conventional reels , and wanted to give fly fishing a try, my only problem is that i do most my fishing at a local pond and lake, which is about a 5 min walk from where i live and their are trees their and im thinking it would be hard trying to cast with the trees surrounding, or is their a way around this?

just wondering from people who fly fish at lakes.

A boat, canoe, kayak, float tube, inflatable pontoon etc :)

Can you wade in off the shore?

Or learn to roll cast

...but, no, tree lined or brush lined ponds do not accommodate a fly rod very well.

In addition to flytier's suggestions, if there is a dock, you can cast from it.

When I was young and lived in Texas, I could wade in the shallows of lakes (all the big ones are reservoirs), and since there were no trees behind me, fly casting was easy. When I moved to Florida, I was surprised to discover that all the lakes were surrounded by dense trees and shrubs, and most likely a fringe of 6 ft. high cattails. Only way to fish there is from the middle toward the shore. A jon boat will do, or a canoe. I had a jon boat, now have a canoe. I either use flyrod or ultralight spinning, and neither is conducive to getting snagged in the shrubbery.

And I only fish in lakes. Well, a few times in the bay but I'm not big on saltwater fishing.

Unless you plan on fishing dry flies, learn to roll cast. When nymphing, I roll cast way more than I overhand cast personally. Even when there is nothing behind me.