Fly Tying
wschmitt3

Peacock Herl

Isn't there something about right handed tiers only using herl from the left side of the stick, and left handed tiers using herl only from the right side of the stick for best result?

Yes, there is something about that.

Peacock herl is asymmetrical. The barbules along one edge of the stem are usually shorter that those on the other side. The difference can be very noticeable. When this and the other characteristics of peacock herl are considered, the tyer can achieve a body that is either fuller or sparser and either narrower or wider in profile depending on which herl he selects and how he orients the herl when tying in.

All this only matters when working with a single herl.

Jaydub, nice tutorial. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing that article flytire and hairwing.

So much info. This is the thing I find so fascinating about tying flies. There is literally no end to learning new patterns, methods, techniques and tricks.

I usually take two pieces, and use the thread to double them over then wrap forward. Or use peacock ice dub. Love that stuff.

If anyone has a bunch of leftover herl from the wrong side of the feather, send it to me.

if I can successfully wrap it on a hook and the fish takes it, its totally irrelevant which side of the stem it comes from

Anybody ever try the synthetic peacock herl dubbing? Looks just like wrapped herl once applied. Don't think it would work for every situation but looks interesting.

in my opinion, there is no substitute for the properties inherent in peacock herl

dubbing cannot turn into the bronze color effect when peacock herl becomes wet

in my opinion, there is no substitute for the properties inherent in peacock herl

dubbing cannot turn into the bronze color effect when peacock herl becomes wet

PH turns bronze underwater? To think of all the time I have wasted leaving mine in the sun to turn bronze!

Yep. Flytire is right. Proof is as close as the kitchen sink. It's magical stuff. I like a wooly bugger with a body made with it.

Did you also know that you can buy a left handed Crescent Wrench?

Left handed METRIC Crescent Wrench!!

I leave a tag end, one strand, of tying thread in line with the herls and twist it all into a rope. The thead within the herls adds a LOT of strength and the end result is very dense and even. Makes for good looking flies.