Fly Tying
BlueEyedSon

Interested in Starting Out

Fortunately, as I've said before, my Balinese cat sheds gobs of fine silky hair/fur... some grey and some white. The only source I have for straight hair for tails is my own hair. It's comparatively fine, but at least it's straight. Dark brown, so if I wanted to dye it red or yellow, I'd have to bleach it first.

I bought someone's old supply on sale on EBay or $70 shipped. Had all kinds of materials, tools, two vices, etc. I think I got lucky but I see similar auctions a lot. While it was a little light dry hackle feathers, there was a lifetime supply of turkey flats and furs of all sorts, even hooks. A couple of bucks for thread and I was underway.

Thanks to all for the advice. My wife got me the vise from Hook & Hackle, some solid tools, and basic materials to tie up some wooly buggers and foam beetles for my birthday. I've just started playing around with everything and I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to contributing more as I'm able.

Thanks to all for the advice. My wife got me the vise from Hook & Hackle, some solid tools, and basic materials to tie up some wooly buggers and foam beetles for my birthday. I've just started playing around with everything and I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to contributing more as I'm able.

Good for you! I think you will find this hobby very enjoyable. I never thought I would ever be doing this. My only regret is I should have started alot sooner in life!!!!