Fly Tying
breambuster

Nymph Swap For Pan Fish And Trout

Breambuster, I will try to be as helpful as possible but I am getting more forgetful by the day I think. The first photo is possibly a dark Cahill. The second photo is of a quill Gordon with an extra turn or two of hackle. The creeks around here tend to be a little on the swift and rough side. The third is possibly a BWO, but the enlarged photo shows it to be a bit of a mess so you could take a razor blade to it and turn it into something else. The fourth photo is an attempt at a Henryville Special. I like them but I don't do a very good job at copying the original. The fifth through eighth photo is just some nymphs that I play around with and occasionally fool a trout or two. The purple one is just one that I tied not long before mailing them to you. The last photo is of a fly that I started tying a couple years ago. I have no idea what it is supposed to be but the fish seem to take an interest in them. I tie them on Gamakatsu octopus hooks or older Mustad 37160's. The other question about the tail is hard to answer. I use Microfibett's a lot but I have an older dun neck that has some spade hackles that are the stiffest I have ever seen.

Sorry that I wasn't much help.

No, Netabrookie, you were a lot of help. I like them all and I'm not about to cut anything off the hook. I will fish them all. The 5th fly is obviously a stone fly nymph of some sort. It has the distinctive forked tail and wing case made of some shiny material. And I like the looks of the Henryville Special. I'll have to do some additional research on that pattern. And I was pretty sure the second one was a Quill Gordon because of the body. Thanks again for sharing some of your flies with me. I'm looking forward to having another chance to fish. It's been a while - TOO long!

Take care

BB

Well Guys, there's lots to report. First of all, Vicrider who joined us earlier & who dropped out to give someone else a shot has sent me some very nice flies. I was kidding him about bailing on a couple of my swaps and so he sent us a set of flies & a note saying that he felt so bad about dropping out that he sent us all an extra fly "gratis." Now I feel bad for kidding him about dropping out. Anyway, i hope you will all join me in thanking Vicrider for an extra fly for this swap. You are all going to get a very nice nymph from him as an extra.

Also, we have 2 other sets of flies that have arrived. We have some really neat Prince nymphs from Muskyhunter81 that any fish that swims will find irresistable and we also have some SWEEETTT bead head nymphs from Wschmitt3, that you are all going to like. It's called a "Guide's Choice Hare's Ear" and it's going to be my choice as well! Very nice fly!

And thanks guys for ALL the extras! WOW!

Take care

BB

BB, are the learning experiments for your trout box going to go in there? Also the cross referenced emerger tyers will get a make-up fly from me for dropping out. You didn't really make me feel guilty but I did feel the emerger swap didn't get a full complement. Been in a few lately like that but been lucky that all mine have been complete, plus a few double ups in there. Great board for swapping and only rarely does a swap not get complete, and even more rare (a first) does the SM just up and keep all the flies for himself, but guess it can happen.

OK, Vicrider, let me make sure that I understand what you mean about the flies. There is a piece of foam with what I think are 3 dry flies and 2 emergers. If those are for me, then yes, they will definitely go into my trout fly box. In addition, there are 11 nymphs on pieces of foam but a couple of them have a nymph on one end and what looks like an emerger on the other. I understand that you want me to ear mark those 2 for people who are in both the nymph swap but who were also in the emerger swap. Let me know if that's what you want to have happen. After reading your note again, I'm pretty sure I'm doing this the way you wanted, but just confirm with me, if you will, that I've got it right.

And thanks, Vic for sharing with us. I don't know a lot of the details about the SM who kept all the flies for himself. I've heard a little bit about it, and I hate that that sort of thing happens here on the Forum. It makes it look bad for the rest of us SM's. I hate it when a swapper just disappears, and that's bad enough. I've had it to happen once, I think, that the SM disappeared. That is really the pits.

Take care

BB

Breambuster,

Thanks for the compliment on the flies. They have been killers for me lately. I hope they work well for you and every one else also.

-Will

BB, ya' got it right. I hope the extras in there on that one piece of foam are worthy of your box. They were actually the flies I was working on to get a better idea of what I needed to do for the Appalachian swap and you'll be getting a couple of those hopefully tied a little better than the first tries. They should still be fishable tho and if you're like most of us you're going to go thru a few flies thanx to trees on the stream banks, logs and rocks in the rivers, and dropping one in the wind when you try to retie.

Right on the emergers. I no someone got gypped on that one so I cross-referenced and saw a couple I could pay back for dropping out. If I remember the fly I put in that is a very popular pattern where dark caddis are heading for the surface, and if you ever get by grayling I guess that's a really popular one there.

Vicrider, the Emerger Swap turned out to be a good swap. There were some awesome patterns there, and those who sent in flies for those who dropped out got their extras back. But it was unfortunate that 2 swappers dropped out without any explanation. And in fact, I still haven't heard from either of them and the last time I checked, neither of them had read the PM's that I sent to them. I don't know what could have happened and it was frustrating for me to watch for their flies & wonder what was going on. One of them said his flies were going into the mail the next day, but they never came. But he said he was dealing with a family emergency and didn't have access to the internet because he had also lost his cell phone. But I do appreciate your concern and willingness to share an emerger with those of us that you could reach.

Take care

BB

We received a REALLY nice set of Damsel Fly Nymphs from ScottK today. I have seen a LOT of Damsel Fly nymphs over the years, and have even tied one or two, but this is the nicest Damsel Fly Nymph that I have seen. You guys are going to love having this one in your fly box. Scott, you are going to HAVE to tell us about the eyes on this one. What are they and where do you get them? I'm going to love having some extras on this one!

Thanks

BB

Wow, I'm really glad you like them BB! The eyes are just some colored bead chain I found at Hobby Lobby a while back, they had two or three different sizes and various colors so I bought several. Just changing it up a bit from the normal black or gold bead chain. :)

Thanks for the compliment and I hope they work well for you!

Scott