Fly Tying
joseph russell

Southern Appalachian Trout Variety Swap

My grannom caddis were sent today. Didn't bother to research a pattern on this fly. Looked at a few photos, and tied something up that resembled several of them. The Sierra trout had no problem eating them, hopefully trout in other ranges find them equally as appealing.

I got ready to send mine out and took another look at them. I just couldn't send them out looking like that. I have been tying a lot the last month so I have improved quiet a bit. Tonight I tied up another set and they should go out in the morning. I am going to send the originals too, maybe they can be used as yard practicing flys or something.

Cannon, my guess is tht either fly will work just as well as the other in the right time and place. I used to think every hair and feather had to be in place but when you see what that gorgeous fly looks like after getting chewed on a few times and still catching fish I got over that. Was on the White River one time and an old guy came into the fly shop and was all excited over his new find. Said the feathers came off his olive wooly bugger and just left the chenille and marabou and he started to catch twice as many fish.